UNRAID Keeps Crashing

My Starter Build:

MB: B360M

Proc: Intel 8400

MEM: PNY XLR8 16GB (8x2) (running at 2133mhz)

M.2: 1TB SN550 WD Blue

Discs: 2x WD Red 8tb

MB is set to turn on when power is on. Server is in the same room as where I game on another computer and I can hear the board beeping when the server just randomly reboots. I have also found the it to be completely off even when it has power. I was using this same setup with TRUENAS (with zero issues) but wanted to give UNRAID a try, and hopefully have better hardware support. I want to start a new build but i'm reluctant because of this issue. 

Symptoms:

–Periodically crashes and reboots repeatedly and sometimes doesn't turn back on. 

–If I let it sit (off) for a day, it seams to take longer for it to crash again.

–Once it crashes and reboots, the second crash happens faster, often times with a few to several hours. It crashes faster each time it happens and gets to the point where UNRAID can't even finishing booting. 

My first suspect is the thumb drive. – Is this what happens if the thumb drive is to blame? If this is the culprit, does UNRAID have a way to clone all my settings (and location of this function)?

On 1/2/2022 at 8:53 PM, ChatNoir said:

You should attach your diagnostics in your next post.

If nothing shows there, you should then set up a syslog server and provide the file after the next crash.

I have attached the diagnostics after I came home and found it to be completely off again. I didn't notice any restarts prior to this. There seems to be a lot of files in the diagnostics but I attached the folder. 

unraid-diagnostics-20220107-2102.zip

Edited by Pstark

Not related to the crash, but your appdata, domains, system shares are configured to be moved to the array, and they have files on the array. You want those to be all on fast storage (cache or other pool) so your dockers/VMs will perform better, and so they won't keep array disks spunup since these files are always open.

Nothing can move open files, so to get those moved you would have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings, set these shares to cache-prefer, and run mover.

As for the crash, have you done memtest?

On 1/3/2022 at 1:42 AM, Pstark said:

My first suspect is the thumb drive. – Is this what happens if the thumb drive is to blame? If this is the culprit, does UNRAID have a way to clone all my settings (and location of this function)?

You should always keep a current backup of flash. You can download at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup. Or setup My Servers to backup flash to limetech (Unraid) cloud.

https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers

14 hours ago, trurl said:

As for the crash, have you done memtest?

You should always keep a current backup of flash. You can download at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup. Or setup My Servers to backup flash to limetech (Unraid) cloud.

https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers

I bought a new Samsung drive to make a backup and then immediately use it to see what happens. 

Ad I write this, I can see Unraid is offline again and I assume crashed again. I plugged the new drive in prior to me leaving and was going to set it up but found Unraid offline. Backing up the drive is done through setting or tools in Unraid GUI correct?

Would anyone recommend starting with a fresh clean install being I’m still on the trial?

3 minutes ago, Pstark said:

Backing up the drive is done through setting or tools in Unraid GUI correct?

14 hours ago, trurl said:

You can download at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup. Or setup My Servers to backup flash to limetech (Unraid) cloud.

You should try to use the existing flash drive unless you are sure something is wrong with it. Boot from a USB2 port is more reliable

When I set all this up, I didn’t buy a power supply specifically for the build. I had a power supply laying around not being used. It’s an EVGA 850gm from when I got a new case for my gaming rig. Is it possible that my power supply is too big for this setup? I read somewhere a while ago that power supplies not only have maximum but also have a minimum load. Is this true. 

Last night, I was trying a few things and Unraid went offline again just a couple hours after the last crash. I decided to dig into the diagnostic files and I looked at the syslog file and it mentioned "S3". Not sure if this is a normal command but I remember an app I downloaded, Dynamix S3 sleep. So I disabled it and so far no crash. Will report any further findings.