Disable Drive

Advise on how to proceed.  One of my drives has the RED dot beside it.  Syslog is attached.  Will I have to replace the drive? unRAID 4.6

See here in the wiki: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#What_does_the_Red_Ball_mean.3F

It might be the drive, but it is a likely to be something else.  First step is to get a SMART report from the drive.  Then, stop the array, power down, re-seat the connectors to the drive (both power and data) and re-start the array.

Joe L.

Advise on how to proceed.  One of my drives has the RED dot beside it.  Syslog is attached.  Will I have to replace the drive? unRAID 4.6

See here in the wiki: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#What_does_the_Red_Ball_mean.3F

It might be the drive, but it is a likely to be something else.   First step is to get a SMART report from the drive.  Then, stop the array, power down, re-seat the connectors to the drive (both power and data) and re-start the array.

Joe L.

Joe LThe smart report is attached.  I see pre-fail on the Reallocated_Sector row, does this have any meaning?

OK - powered off and re-seated the drive.  Still has red dot.  Looks like I have to replace it.

unRAID will NOT restore the disk on its own because "writes" to it failed.  It must be re-constructed.

To do that, you must "fool" it into thinking a new disk is being used as a replacement.

To do that, you must have it forget the model/serial number of the old disk.  The steps are:

1.  Stop the array

2.  un-assign the "failed" disk.

3.  Start the array with the disk un-assigned.  It will still show as "red" and you'll still be able to get to its files as it will be simulated by parity in combination with all the other data disks.  (this step causes the array to forget the model/serial number of the disk)

4.  Stop the array a second time.

5.  Re-assign the disk.  (It will think it is a replacement)

6.  Start the array.  You might have to check the I'm sure checkbox under "Start".  Is should say that it will re-construct the data onto the replacement disk.

Once all the data has been re-constructed, you'll be back as usual.

Joe L.

OK - powered off and re-seated the drive.  Still has red dot.  Looks like I have to replace it.

unRAID will NOT restore the disk on its own because "writes" to it failed.  It must be re-constructed.

To do that, you must "fool" it into thinking a new disk is being used as a replacement.

To do that, you must have it forget the model/serial number of the old disk.  The steps are:

1.  Stop the array

2.  un-assign the "failed" disk.

3.  Start the array with the disk un-assigned.  It will still show as "red" and you'll still be able to get to its files as it will be simulated by parity in combination with all the other data disks.  (this step causes the array to forget the model/serial number of the disk)

4.  Stop the array a second time.

5.  Re-assign the disk.  (It will think it is a replacement)

6.  Start the array.  You might have to check the I'm sure checkbox under "Start".  Is should say that it will re-construct the data onto the replacement disk.

Once all the data has been re-constructed, you'll be back as usual.

Joe L.

Jeo L..

Guess what......

It worked.  Thanks for your help.  Are these step by steps in the wiki?

Archived