Need Help With User Share

Hey All,

Up until now I had 2 drives in my server, one for movies and one for tv shows.

I've almost filled up my TV shows drive, so I added a third drive that is also supposed to be TV shows.

However, the issue is that if I try to copy anything into the "TV" user share, it refuses to go to the new drive.

The user share is set up like this:

TV (user share)

|

Series Name

|

Season

|

Episode files

Now, I don't care if the Series gets split up across drives, but I'd like the Season files to stay on the same drive. Therefore, I set the split level to 2.

Here's what my User Share config page looks like:

unRaid.png

What am I doing wrong here? Is there another step to configuring the new disk that I'm missing?

Thanks

Edit:

I should add that, if I go to disk2 (which was the original disk the TV files were saved on) I see "TV" and under that I see all my folders for the various TV shows. If I go to disk3 (the drive I just added), however, there is nothing. Not sure what that means, but I figured it might be important.

The biggest issue is that you are using the fill up allocation method.  Here is what the manual says on fill up ...

The fill-up allocation method simply attempts to fill each disk in order from the lowest numbered disk to the highest numbered disk. The fill-up allocation method must be used in conjunction with the minimum free space setting. Otherwise, unRAID will begin to give disk full errors and not allow any more transfers once the first disk gets close to being full.

So because you have not set a min free space value unraid would never write to to your new disk (disk3).  Also because your split level is set to 2, once you write a file in a season folder all the subsequent episode files will be forced onto that same disk that the first file was placed on.  So, even if you did not have the fill-up allocation problem, new episodes written to the TV share would still go to disk2 unless you are writing shows to your TV share that are from a new season (i.e. one that does not exist in your share yet).

My advice to you would be change your allocation method to most free and then set a min free space.  Rule of thumb is to set it to be twice the size of the largest file you would ever write to your TV share.  The value is in Kb.

Archived