[solved] VM Virtual Machine (Win10), can't obtain DHCP IP Address on VLAN.

Derek_
Go to solution Solved by Derek_,

I've set up a VLAN network interface (Settings > Network) to match my switch but i cannot get a Windows 10 VM to obtain an IP address within a VLAN. I want to be able to flip the VM into different VLANs to test things.

I've tested the VLAN independently by connecting a computer to the port and it obtains an IP address (in the right range) fine, internet works. All looks normal.

I've done some searching through the forums, and there's a few people who have really complicated setups and asking about Dockers with VLANs and PFsense and such. I'm just after the basic configuration to allow my Win10 VLAN to use DHCP if i connect it to one of the VLANs. The only connection that works is in the LAN the unRAID box resides.

Thanks.

I've attached a pic of my VLAN Settings > Network. I've also tried Auto and Static IPv4 Address Assignment and neither worked. The only DHCP IP address i got was something in the 169 realm and all my networks are 192.

...ok... i TRIED to attach a 12kb png, but it failed 3 times.

Interface description: Guest

VLAN number: 20

Network protocol: IPv4 Only

IPv4 address assignment: None

Edited by Derek_

I'm sorry, could you please expand on that as i didn't mention docker? I'm not referring to Docker but i guess you're saying something about DHCP won't work on a VM in an unRAID configured (i.e. not a switch configured) VLAN. The unRAID VLAN is there to enable communication between a VM and a Docker instance but only Dockers can use the DHCP (if wanted).

Is that right?

But you also say "should be for". Should that be "is for"?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Derek_ said:

DHCP won't work on a VM in an unRAID configured

Not that, VLAN is an isolated network with main network, so if you want client / VM / docker got IP assign, you need DHCP service in that VLAN.

Docker network have DHCP on/off feature, but this "should be" serve docker only, not for VM. ( why "should be" because I haven't enable docker DHCP )

If a VLAN need internet service, an internet gateway also need for that VLAN.

To do above, a common way was use physical / software (i.e. PFsense) VLAN router.

Edit : I miss below message. I use physical VLAN router and no problem with Unraid VLAN .... do you correctly "tag" the VLAN connect to Unraid ?

12 hours ago, Derek_ said:

I've tested the VLAN independently by connecting a computer to the port and it obtains an IP address (in the right range) fine, internet works. All looks normal.

Edited by Vr2Io
7 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Edit : I miss below message. I use physical VLAN router and no problem with Unraid VLAN .... do you correctly "tag" the VLAN connect to Unraid ?

As far as i know, yes. My VLAN is simply "20" in the router. In unRAID, i also set it to "20". I think i might just install a second NIC and run the cable to that with the switch tagging the VLAN.

• Solution

Soooo... I figured out why DHCP wasn't working on the VLAN on the NAS only (was working elsewhere). At some point, i tagged the port `LAN`. Not `ALL`.

I probably did this not long after getting the router, because i couldn't figure out how to secure my VLANs while letting some traffic i wanted through, through. I got that sorted quite a while later - but i didn't remember to flip the port back to `ALL`, i forgot all about it.

It just popped into my head a short while ago. Tested it - all good.

Spent SO long on this. LOL. CRY.

Not sure how to mark as "solved".

Edited by Derek_
  • Haha 1
  • Derek_ changed the title to [solved] VM Virtual Machine (Win10), can't obtain DHCP IP Address on VLAN.