Issue with networking, eth0 non-functional

TheOgre
Go to solution Solved by TheOgre,

Having very odd issues with networking on this machine.

Upgraded my main computer and repurposed my old one to replace my existing unraid server. Everything went flawlessly for about 2 days, now, networking is not working with no changes to the server or my network stack.

ifconfig from the terminal shows eth0 with 10.0.0.35 as well as in the webUI (accessed via booting GUI mode), but diagnostics shows that it does not have an IP. An interesting discrepancy. 

I am uploading 2 diagnostic files. The first is when I initially accessed the server after networking went down, which shows "e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: Detected Hardware Unit Hang" as the only issue I can see. However, these issues are showing up even when the server was still working fine and was accessible. 

Have tried swapping cables, different ports on the switch, rebooting the entire network stack. Changing DHCP settings. Nothing seems to change. I have noticed that the first minute or 2 after booting in GUI mode, I can access the network/internet from the server, then it suddenly goes down. The ui still shows it has an ip address, and if I unplug the network cable, it shows the link goes down, plug it back in, it comes back up full 1000mbps full duplex, however, still doesn't have access and ifconfig at that point shows it has no IP either. 

I am completely unsure what is happening, especially considering this was working just fine for 2 days straight. Is it possible the on-board NIC is dying? I can order a NIC card and put in, just will take some time to get here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:

ASUS Z97-a

Onboard Intel i218-v NIC

24gb DDR3 1866mhz

ogreserv-diagnostics-20220129-1412.zip ogreserv-diagnostics-20220129-1547.zip

3 hours ago, Squid said:
tips.and.tweaks.plg - 2021.12.22

Are you making any tweaks to the networking via this?  Try uninstalling it to see if there's any difference.  If the problems seem to disappear, probably best asking in it's support thread.

I have not made any tweaks to networking via that plugin, however, I just tried as you said and disabled it but no changes. I also tried booting in safe mode with no plugins and it is still not working.

The very odd thing is, monitor my dhcp server, it does get the request and is assigned an IP, br0 then holds onto that IP, but eth0 drops it and gets the "device interrupt 20 memory [ADDR]" note underneath.

• Solution

Okay so, after following your suggestion @Squid, it made me think to try a Live ISO and see if the network issues persists with a known working live drive. Well, it did not, and this led me down the road of trying the network stuff again. Turns out, I have a malfunctioning network switch. It seems to be passing SOME requests, but dropping everything else. After running a very long cable to the main ap, everything works just fine in unraid. 

Thanks for the nudge that got me to the solution!!

• Like 1