Force stop VM via terminal

Go to solution Solved by shawnngtq,

Hi, sometimes when I do gpu passthrough and start the VM, it will cause the VM tab page to hang.

1. I am unable to force stop VM since page is empty

2. If I go to the terminal and execute any `virsh` command, the command will hang as well

Is there any way we can force kill the VM? Maybe `kill -9 <VM process>`?

It's kinda troublesome to restart the PC everytime because of this ... Thanks

• Like 1
  • Solution

I noticed that the reason VM page hang is because my plex docker setting includes the gpu even though GPU is not in used that time. The moment I shut plex down, my VM page works => this is the root cause

As for the force stop VM via terminal, I still don't have a solution that doesn't include system reboot / shutdown.

Maybe as of 6.9.2, it's not possible. But I do hope this can be a future feature. Afterall slackware OS is still Linux-based, terminal should be able to do everything, considering that the default terminal user is already root user.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

One solution is to simply stop the conflicting container. It requires you to know that the reason it is hanging is a GPU access conflict and to know which container but it works for me.

You can do that with:

docker container stop <name-of-container>

Edited by voyager12
Add docker command
  • Upvote 1