skip paritycheck/rebuild on disc swap ?

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

Hi everyone,

I realize this might be a weird/dumb question, but Im just wondering if a parity check is really necessary for my situation.

So, I have a rather old and slow drive in my array that Im planning to swap out for a new and improved version. I've already barely been using the drive so there was very little data on it and what was on there I decided to move onto another before the swap. So, since its basically an empty drive and I dont really have to do a data rebuild, is a paritycheck/rebuild really necessary? Couldnt I just put the new one in and reformat it ?

Anyway, Im wondering if this is even possible and if so its still just a bad idea to do this? 😄

• Solution

A rebuild doesn't care if the drive is empty or if it's full.  It's simply a sector by sector calculation needed to recreate the drive.  

The alternative to a rebuild of the drive is to do a New Config and assign the drives appropriately, but in that case the parity needs to be rebuilt to reflect the actual sector contents of the drive in question.

IE:  No real way around the rebuild.