All disks in array constantly spinning

BigFam
Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I have an 11 disk array with all Whitelabled 12TB WD Red with a 2 disk parity. I used to have only 1 parity drive and the array disks were spinning down according to 15 min policy set in the disk settings. After adding a 2nd parity drive all drives in the array are constantly spinning. I can't even spin them down manually. Is this expected? If not How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Carl

35 minutes ago, Squid said:

Shouldn't make a difference.  Ensure that disk down down is still set correctly (change it to 30, then reset it back to 15 and hit apply)

Failing all else, post your diagnostics

Thanks a lot for your tip! Changing the spin down time to 30 min, hitting Apply and changing it back to 15 min and hit Apply again seems to have worked like a charm. All disks except the parity disks and disk 1 (with the system share) have spun down.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Why isn't that share on a pool (as your sig indicates) instead of the array?

I was actually going to move the system share to a pool in an attempt to let all drives in the array spin down but hadn't got there just yet... My thinkning is to move the system share, appdata and syslog shares to a pool with either a single or mirrored SSDs and back them up with the CA Backup / Restore Appdata plugin.

Does that sound like a good idea?

(atm the signature is meant to reflect that I have the shares on my array with caching set to preferred to the cache array but that has not yielded the result I'm after - still learning)

13 minutes ago, BigFam said:

atm the signature is meant to reflect that I have the shares on my array with caching set to preferred to the cache array but that has not yielded the result I'm after

You also need to have the docker and VM services disabled to allow the files to be moved to the cache pool by mover as they keep files open (and mover cannot move open files).

• Like 1