Failing disk in second cache pool shows no errors.

In the GUI, I noticed I have a cache disk that wasn't spinning down. I checked the disk log, and it's not pretty:

BTRFS warning (device sde1): lost page write due to IO error on /dev/sdk1 (-5)
BTRFS error (device sde1): bdev /dev/sdk1 errs: wr 11963359, rd 8227683, flush 741, corrupt 0, gen 0

Pages of this error. Literally says error on it. The disk won't read, write, or respond to any commands. Feels like this should throw a red ball, or at a bare minimum increment the error counter. As it is, there seems to be no failed disk detection. 

I don’t understand. If this is a known issue, and there is also no GUI recovery method available, there’s not even minimal documentation, so why did LT put this feature in stable?

I just rechecked the announcement for multiple cache pools and there is zero warning that this feature is missing some really fundamental functionality. The only thing they give you is a YouTube video from a random YouTuber on how to set it up. I’d expect this kind of incomplete release from FOSS projects, not a mature paid product like this. 

I thing LT should at least warn users this is an incomplete feature for advanced users and any problems with it will result in a trip to the forum — so basically a beta feature that doesn’t belong in a stable release.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:44 AM, JonathanM said:

I'd recommend emailing [email protected] and politely describe your experience.

Items on the forum sometimes don't get the attention they deserve.

Emailing this email address has resulted in a continuous mail delivery failure for several days now.

There was a problem delivering your message to [email protected]. See the technical details below.

The response was:

The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720 [limetechnology.com 52.71.57.184: timed out] [limetechnology.com 54.209.32.212: timed out]

This isn’t encouraging. Maybe the domain is incorrect? [email protected]?

Edited by DarkKnight
1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

Emailing this email address has resulted in a continuous mail delivery failure for several days now.

This isn’t encouraging. Maybe the domain is incorrect? [email protected]?

Sorry, I was typing quickly off the top of my head. Honestly, there have been a few domain changes over the years, I don't know what is the current best contact email, I haven't emailed for support in a while.

try support@

lime-technology.com

or

unraid.net

Again, sorry for steering you to the wrong contact, it seems the company has removed ready references to their emails off the website, probably getting too much spam. The contact page does have a web form to fill out that I would guess goes to an email address. https://unraid.net/contact

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up to all who are interested, I did file a support ticket. I was thinking about this today because my replacement drive just came in.

This was the response to the ticket: 

We are tracking this issue internally and will discuss on our next call.  With respect to the documentation, the issue is that you somehow found your way to a page that doesn't exist, but the cache pool replacement documentation is right here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Replace_a_disk_in_a_pool

Searching our wiki right now will sometimes lead to dead ends which we are in the process of resolving.  It has to do with a lot of old, outdated content still lingering in there and a fear of purging it without the risk of losing something vital.  We sincerely apologize for the frustrating experience you're having and know that we're working hard to improve it in the future.

I'd like to see some movement on it with the next update, but as always with LT, it's a waiting game. Hopefully the third of the 3 drives lasts until they fix this. Wiping out and recreating the cache pool twice every-time I need to warranty a drive is pretty annoying. Putting this drive back in will be the 4th time I've needed to create the cache pool.