Keeping files organized across disks while using a downloader

cpxazn
Go to solution Solved by cpxazn,

I'm having trouble trying to keep files separated and organized on drives when using a downloader like JDownloader or bittorrent.

Here's my use case.

Let's say I have drives that I want to be organized like below

• parity
  • disk1: Games
  • disk2: Videos
  • disk3: Software
  • cache

Let's say I setup JDownloader and bittorrent to download into a downloads directory.

• If I have the downloads directory moved during mover, it would just dump all downloads onto the array, and I would have to move the downloads to their respective directories, then run a unbalance gather 3 times to move them to their respective disks.
  • If I have the downloads directory in its own share and set it to cache only, this is better, but when I organize and move 500GB of downloads using my desktop, it has to travel through the network since it's on a different share and will take time. I do not want to use krusader or command line every other day to organize my files.

The best setup that I can think of is not achievable because mover cannot exclude a directory, but if it could, it would work like this.

• Setup only 1 share for everything, set split level to top level only
  • Ignore downloads directory from mover

This way, I can move files out of downloads directory instantly into their respective directory since they are on the same share. Then mover can run at another time and should respect the split level.

Is there some other option that I am missing?

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Why not set up Games, Videos and Software shares with Use Cache set to Yes.  This means that initially all files are on the cache and then get moved to the correct drive on the array when mover runs overnight. 

It is setup that way and works fine, however the issue is with the files in Downloads directory. Moving files from Downloads to Games/Videos/Software is moving across shares via smb, so it moves through the network. Moving 500GB through network can take some time, and I don't feel like using a VM or krusader is a good solution to this problem.

4 minutes ago, cpxazn said:

Downloads to Games/Videos/Software is moving across shares via smb, so it moves through the network.

It should not if the source and target are both on the same drive.  For me such moves are almost instantaneous.  What is the OS on the client doing the move - maybe it does not support server side moves?

You could also use Midnight Commander (mc) or the Krusade.r docker running directly on the server.

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

What is the OS on the client doing the move - maybe it does not support server side moves?

Windows 10. I just tested again and it is definitely doing a network transfer.

Tried transferring a file from "Share" to "Downloading" shares and it's not instant.

unraid.thumb.png.feaabf2ac03fb55fede035ca0d217067.png

Edited by cpxazn
1 hour ago, cpxazn said:

Windows 10. I just tested again and it is definitely doing a network transfer.

Tried transferring a file from "Share" to "Downloading" shares and it's not instant.

unraid.thumb.png.feaabf2ac03fb55fede035ca0d217067.png

Strange - it is for me.   Not sure what is different :( 

I would suggest for you using the Krusader docker container is probably the easiest way to go - that should always be fast.

I've seen many posts about server side move not working for people, but unfortunately I haven't seen any kind of solution yet.

People recommend using krusader or mc, but it's a hassle and more of a workaround than a solution.

If only we could exclude directories from mover, it would solve my problems.

Just curious what do have enabled/disabled in SMB settings? I'm wondering if some setting there is affecting.

Edited by cpxazn