(SOLVED) Issues with a specific disk (Unraid 6.9.2)

Tune
Go to solution Solved by Tune,

Hi everyone,

I have been issues with this disk for a while, it keeps throwing read errors(the unraid ones, not the smart log ones). The disk has been in use for about a year. its about disk 2 (sde) in the array. It is a Seagate EXOS 7E8 512e 8TB.

A couple of things i've tried prior to starting this topic:

- switched out the cables, both power and sata cables, and i tried switching one or the other or both at the same time

- i had the drive connected via an HBA card before, i switched back to connecting it directly to the sata connectors on the motherboard

The disk still throws read errors despite this and it is only this single disk, is the disk failing? when i'm reading the smart logs i don't see anything out of the ordinary (though I am a novice when it comes to reading those).

The disk doesn't have any pending sectors or reallocated sectors (i've read before those are important ones to look at when it comes to disks failing), and the drive shows any read errors (the smart log errors, not the unraid ones) as being hardware ecc recovered.

I've attached the anonimized diagnostics to this post from the last time it happened, i do have others from previous times of the disk throwing read errors, if i need to upload these aswell please let me know.

Any help or insights would be appreciated.

EDIT: I see now that the diagnostics don't include the smart logs for disk2 as unraid has disabled the disk, and it looks like it is unable to run smart command on this disk now, i've attached a manually downloaded smart log from this specific disk to this post aswell, and i added an older diagnostics file of when the disk was also throwing read errors.

Greetings,

Teun

tuneserver-diagnostics-20220221-2053.zip

tuneserver-smart-20220221-2121.zip tuneserver-diagnostics-20220113-2140.zip

Edited by Tune
1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Disk dropping offline it's not usually a disk problem, but if you already swapped cables and controller it might be.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to look at my issue and responding.

Have you looked at the logs I attached by any chance? In your opinion, does it look like the drive itself is failing?

Are there any other things I could try before RMAing the disk?

• Solution
7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

I did.

Not by looking at the SMART report, but it can still be failing.

Hey,

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me.

I've taken the drive out of the array and plugged it into a dock into a different pc, and whilst doing that found the drive making noises it definitely should not be making were it a normally functioning drive. (So even though SMART did not report anything particularly out of the ordinary for this drive, it is indeed failing)

I've ordered a new drive as i needed a capacity boost anyways and i dont want to have my array unprotected for the time it would take to go through the RMA process. I've shutdown my server until the new drive arrives.

I'll be RMAing the failing drive as it's still within it's warranty period.

This issue can be marked as solved.

• Tune changed the title to (SOLVED) Issues with a specific disk (Unraid 6.9.2)