Keeping folders/files on cache for access speed/minimise HDD spin ups, but also keeping them backed up to the array

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hoping someone can advise me on this, as I'm only a week or two into using unRAID and I'm struggling to get my head round how to set this up, if it's even the right thing to do, or if it's even possible.

I'll explain my setup first. I have an array made up of various HDDs (15TB total), then I have a cache made up of 2 x 1TB SSDs.

I have a share for all my work files, which I tend to randomly access as needed during the day. I was wondering is there any way I can keep the share with my work files on the cache for speed of access and also to avoid HDD spin ups, then have the mover back up the changed files from the cache to the array each night? I know that having two SSDs for the cache will offer some level of protection, and maybe I'm just being overly paranoid, but would it not be better to have a backup on the array, also? This share is also backed up offsite at less regular intervals (every few days).

Edited by takkischitt
Adding of information
  • Solution

What you describe is not a standard part of Unraid.   Mover makes the assumption that a file only exists in one place, and will not overwrite a file that already exists on the array when trying to move files off the cache.

some people have written custom scripts to what you describe.   They exploit the fact that if a file exists in 2 locations under Unraid then copies on pools take precedence over a copy on the array (and pools are used in alphabetical order).   However it is then up to the end-user to manage any corner cases or unexpected behaviour.