File permission issue - Filezilla Docker to ZFS pool

File permission issue driving me nuts.

I currently have a filezilla docker (linuxserver/filezilla:lates) running, with sftp downloads going to a zfs pool within my unraid server.

Filezilla/Unraid folder specs:
The download folder for files being downloaded - Folder owner is "nobody" and files/folders that are downloaded are owned by "nobody." Recently (must've been after an update or change in my ecosystem somewhere) when folders are downloaded they are given the permission 0755 (rwxr-xr-x) and the files within the folder are 0644 (rw-r--r--). I can read the files but I can't do anything else with them which is totally throwing off my workflow. Once I recursively change the permissions to 0777 for example I have no problems doing what I do. When the files make it to where they're going there is never an issue with the file afterwards.

I've been reading forums for the last 3 weeks trying to find someone who has had a similar issue, trying all sorts of different fixes but none of turned out to fix my problem.

I really thought the GUID PUID setting within the docker settings was going to be the culprit but mine are set to 99/100 which is nobody/nobody... something I assume has never changed.

The entire ZFS pool is shared via unraid to my network. I connect to the folder via Windows 10 using an admin-level user account. Been running for about 6 months before this issue came up.

If anyone has any solution, or advice, even if it's some suggested search terms for me to hunt down a solution that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Squid said:

Not that I use filezilla, but if there's an option within the app's settings for permissions, set it to 0777

Squid - Thank you for reviewing my post. I feel like this is bringing a nuke to a fist fight ;)

I've checked the app settings and the docker settings numerous times - do you have any reference as to where this setting would be located?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 12:31 AM, clee666 said:

Did you find a solution?

Unfortunately, I have the same issue and don't know how to fix it.

I'm using a XFS pool.

Using FileZilla, my files are being downloaded using:

Permissions: rwxr-xr-x

Octal Mode: 755

Unfortunately no - I've resorted to building a macro within MobaXterm that automatically changes the folder permissions and everything inside it:

chmod -R 777 "insert directory here"

After running, I get:

Permissions: rwxrwxrwx

Octal Mode: 777

This issue didn't happen for the first year I was using Unraid/FileZilla. Not sure what I updated/changed but it's quiet annoying.

If you find any solution please share

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2022 at 12:31 AM, clee666 said:

Did you find a solution?

Unfortunately, I have the same issue and don't know how to fix it.

I'm using a XFS pool.

So in case anyone else runs into this problem my solution was the following:

In the FileZilla Docker Edit --> Advanced View -->

Extra Parameters

-e 'UNMASK'='000'

PUID

I logged into my Unraid server via SSH

Ran the following command

ID <insert username which is used when trying to access the files>

Returned

uid=1000(<will show username here>) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)

I then updated the following two settings

PUID: 1000
PGID: 100

Not sure if the extra parameter actually made a difference so you might want to try it without the extra parameter first to see if that does the trick.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 6:55 PM, v3life said:

Extra Parameters

-e 'UNMASK'='000'

What are the downloaded files permission with the UMASK for you?

The UMASK parameter is not doing anything for me.

The default UMASK 022 is applied no matter what UMASK I specify.

I logged into the Docker's console (click on the docker then select console), I typed umask and it returned 0022.

If I check the files permissions, they are at -rw-r--r-- (UMASK 022) while it should be -rw-rw-rw- if UMASK is really 000.

Edited by clee666
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 2:47 AM, clee666 said:

What are the downloaded files permission with the UMASK for you?

Current file permissions are: rwxr-xr-x

Umask on new folder's created by FileZilla (downloads): 0000

I'm going to go ahead and say this up front, this is not an area which I necessarily know what I'm talking about... I don't know what changed to cause the problem but the above two solutions fixed the issue for me.

That being said - some feedback below

The UMASK parameter is not doing anything for me.

I'm pretty sure that the UMASK parameter within the "docker console" is reflective of the umask within the virtualized instance itself which is not what this extra parameter is adjusting. I believe this parameter is allowing the files/folders it creates to take on these settings. Once again, this could be completely wrong info - hopefully someone more educated in this area can chime in here.

If I check the files permissions, they are at -rw-r--r-- (UMASK 022) while it should be -rw-rw-rw- if UMASK is really 000.

When I log into the docker console and run UMASK, i get the same thing; "0022"

When I ssh into UnRaid and go to the folder files are downloaded to, the new folders as well as all children have a UMASK of "0000"

On 9/10/2022 at 6:55 PM, v3life said:

I then updated the following two settings

I should have clarified that this "setting" is in the FileZilla Docker Edits --> Advanced View section of UnRaid. I'm confident this is what made the difference. This combo is what provided the results I listed at the top of this reply.