Help with replacing a drive Unraid 6.9.2.

I had drive 1 die. So I bought a new same size, 3TB drive and ran preclear and formatted it as XFS, (I am trying to convert all my drives to XFS). But it still says it is formatted as reiserfs. And them mounted it. Then I chose it to be drive 1. After starting the array, it does not seem to be rebuilding the drive from parity. And the drive has an "x" next to it not the yellow caution icon. What am I doing wrong? Thank you, I am not good at fixing things when they go wrong.

1.PNG

2.PNG

tower-diagnostics-20220308-1630.zip

Edited by johnzimm

First and possibly most important, when you change the filesystem from reiserfs to XFS, ALL THE FILES WILL BE ERASED. Since you have a little over 1TB of files still on the reiserfs file system on the parity emulated disk1, I'm assuming you don't want them erased. Parity emulates the entire drive, filesystem inclusive, so rebuilding a drive from parity will always rebuild the same filesystem. IF YOU FORMAT THE DRIVE WHILE IT'S IN THE ARRAY IT WILL BE BLANK. Formatting an array drive updates parity with the new filesystem.

Parity doesn't emulate individual files, it emulates the entire disk.

So with that out of the way, apparently you are running a read check of the array instead of rebuilding disk1. Cancel the check, stop the array, change disk1 to none, start the array, stop the array, change disk1 to the correct disk. This should rebuild your reiserfs file system as it's being emulated currently.

After the array is healthy and all green, then you can copy the files off disk1 to disk2, when that is done change the format of disk1 to xfs in the disk1 properties and it should prompt you to format it. Then you can copy the next reiserfs disk to it, lather rinse repeat until all drives are xfs.

I'll repeat myself for emphasis. Changing the format of an array disk will REMOVE all the files currently on it.

There is an entire sticky thread on migrating from reiserfs to xfs, perhaps that would be a good read while disk1 is rebuilding from parity.

That did the trick. Thank you so much. So, apparently I was trying to do too much at once by rebuilding and changing the FS. Sometimes the Parity drive concept seems a bit like magic. I am glad Unraid was holding all my stuff of drive 1 on the parity drive and emulating it on the "drive 1" slot with an "x" next to it. For others that have the same problem in the future... the second I did the above steps, the red "x" turned into the blue "box" and then finally turned into the yellow caution sign after I started the array... and it started to rebuild drive 1 from the parity drive. Its magic I tell ya. Thank you JonathanM

3.PNG

Edited by johnzimm