Plex client now on Roku

http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/05/03/plex-on-the-roku/

Plex has announced that they now have a beta client that for Roku. Given that the $79.99 Roku xD can output 1080p, this seems so far the cheapest player for 1080p content that I've seen.

Given that there is already a Plex Media Server for Windows and one in the works for Linux, looks like something to think about, especially for a home with multiple TVs and no need for expensive Mac hardware.

I looked into this a bit more and it seems there's no easy way to get the Roku to access the files on your server.  Does Plex address this issue?  If not, this thing is pretty useless for most of us.

It's a Plex Client, so you will need a Plex Media Server (OS X or Windows, Linux in the works) to serve media to it. It's still a very early beta so still very rough around the edges. What's caught my eye is that I've not seen another solution that can serve up 1080p for under $100. So if your already using Plex as your media server, then you have the option of cheaply hooking up the TV in the spare bedroom with something that can do 1080p.

I looked into this a bit more and it seems there's no easy way to get the Roku to access the files on your server.  Does Plex address this issue?  If not, this thing is pretty useless for most of us.

It's a Plex Client, so you will need a Plex Media Server (OS X or Windows, Linux in the works) to serve media to it. It's still a very early beta so still very rough around the edges. What's caught my eye is that I've not seen another solution that can serve up 1080p for under $100. So if your already using Plex as your media server, then you have the option of cheaply hooking up the TV in the spare bedroom with something that can do 1080p.

So, say I have Plex Media Server (PMS, I mean really? PMS.. neat) running on a Windows machine, with Mapped Shares from my unRAID.. that should do the trick right?  I'd think so. <shrug>

So, say I have Plex Media Server (PMS, I mean really? PMS.. neat) running on a Windows machine, with Mapped Shares from my unRAID.. that should do the trick right?  I'd think so. <shrug>

Basically yes. From what I have read, the client creates a Plex channel in Roku that connects to your local Plex Media Server which streams the media.