[RESOLVED] SPLIT LEVEL - Yay another thread!

First, let me start out by saying, I DID indeed use the search, and just when I thought I "had it", reading the threads from my search only added more complexity to my issue in understanding just WTH is going on with Split Level.

Evidently, this is not a rare case, as taken from a post from bjp999 in one of the many posts concerning the topic:

Split level is the biggest (unavoidable) kludge in unRAID.

I see so many new users botch it and then copy a mound of data to their brand new array only to have it spread hither and yon, and then spend 4x as much time trying to straighten out the mess.

Best advice I can give - DO NOT USE USER SHARES / SPLIT LEVELS to do initial data load.  Copy your data to disk shares, then learn and experiment with split levels, and only then start writing to user shares if you must.

I am like Joe L. and always copy my data directly to the disks that I want them copied to.  But I tend to fill up a disk at a time.  And then create PAR2 blocks on that disk.  And then start writing to the next one.

I personally don't like the idea of having configuration data spread out in every directory.  Support would be very difficult, as would figuring out why something didn't work as expected.  I always throught split level of "VIDEO_TS" might be popular to keep DVD files together, but obviously that hasn't been the solution.  Not sure there is a perfect solution to this problem.

I don't like the idea of experimenting, rather, I DO like the idea over actually reading something that describes in great clarity precisely what I need to know.

No offense to the person who wrote the portion of the wiki regarding Split Level, but suffice to say, the point is not getting across so-to-speak.  Could I do better?  Probably not.. just saying. ;)

However; as is the case, I am completely lost.  Perhaps it has more to do with what I envision or would "like to do" with user shares that is the issue or at least is a big contributor in my confusion.

I like so many others, have the following "media" type:  Movies, Music and Pictures

From my understanding, in layman's terms, "Split Level" (as is displayed in the "Shares" portion of the Management screen) is the top most "level" at which unRAID will begin it's spanning?  I'm so brain fried I'm not sure I'm even explaining this correctly myself, the two back stock exhaust fans in my 4224 going aren't helping matters (my patience is thin at the moment).  So, to explain myself at the Big Bird level (for my benefit to ensure I'm explaining what I -think- "Split Level" is):

Example Directory Structure:

*See attached picture, wasn't about to try to do it using ASCII characters :P

Using the attached example (it's actually my chart I'd like to use, as a guideline), names in [ ] are directories (not filenames) for the purpose of the chart only and doesn't necessarily mean those names will be within brackets (unless it becomes a recommendation for whatever reasons).  From what I'm gathering about unRAID, it would be wise for me to have one share for each "[Movies]", "[Pictures]" and "[Music]".  I'm fine with that.  Completely unsure if I will be able to make a share that points to all three of those root directories (e.g. say, "[Media]") but, eh.  In which case, I would have a directory called "[Media]" otherwise, I'll likely just make those three root directories and omit the entire "[Media]" directory idea.

So, yes, lets do that.  I have three root directories, forget the entire "[Media]" directory.

Let's start with "[Movies]" directory.  If I were to set a "Split Level" of 1 (once again using the scanned diagram and omitting "[Media]"), it is my understanding that on each disk (let's pretend I don't use the "Included Disks" or "Excluded Disks" for the sake of trying to keep this as simple as possible) a root directory of "Movies" would be the only directory that would be "constant" so-to-speak.  The sub-directories actually found on each of the physical discs "Movies" directory would differ, right?  Or would "Movies" be considered "Level 0" ?  I assume at this point it begins with 1, whereas 0 is the root itself thus the administrator (me in my case) would be responsible for creation of all directories and sub-directories.

And now, that I've returned to this post from helping my son with his homework, I'm even more confused/brain fried/lost patience.  Darnit.

Crud.. frustrated to say the least.  In short, what I want to do:

-----------------

I want the directory structure I have in the diagram, less the "Media" directory (seems unnecessary imo, unless I'm simply not "getting" something).

When I work with a share in windows, I want to be able to double click on the share named "Movies", then I'll be presented with the sub-directories of "Adult", "Family" and "Children" and so on (all in the diagram).  I of course DON'T want the contents of sub-directory "A DAY IN THE LIFE" to be spanned between multiple physical discs though.

I will then want to be able to create a share (or "map") the sub-directory "CHILDREN" so that my, you guess it, children can watch the movies contained in that sub-directory, using their user account (or more accurately, the login/authentication that their WD TV uses).

-----------------

How would I do this?  Or can it not be done?

I know it's the lazy way to come right out and ask "how to do this", but, really... after all the searching, reading and frustration, maybe it's best to simply know how to perform what I would like done.. then perhaps I'll be able to deduct just what exactly is going on with this "Split Level" stuff.  Maybe you'll disagree, either way, I respectfully request that you humor me never-the-less. ;P

structure.jpg.6117baaad99c04388f37278dbbba504b.jpg

Let's use your picture, or draw another one similar if you want. Start at 1. Movies is 1 (well the Media was 1 except you aren't using it so start with Movies = 1). The next subfolder over is 2, followed by 3, 4 etc etc.

Then move from left to right and stop at the last folder you want to allow on multiple disk. The corresponding number is the split level. From left to right

- I want Movies on multiple disks, ok I can use level 1.

- I want Adult, Family and Children on multiple disks, ok I can use level 2.

- I do not want A Day in the Life to be on mutiple disks, it is not ok to use level 3.

The user shares which appear on the network are the ones you create on the shares page. By default, unRAID does not have any settings to use a subfolder inside a share as another share. However, you can create a file called smb-extra.conf on the flash in the config directory which holds the info for how to share a subfolder (the Childrens folder). I'm not familiar at all with how you put in user settings so you might have to search or ask a seperate question to get that figured out. The file content to just make a read-ony share would look like this;

[Children]

path = /mnt/usr/Movies/Children

read only = Yes

Peter

Let's use your picture, or draw another one similar if you want. Start at 1. Movies is 1 (well the Media was 1 except you aren't using it so start with Movies = 1). The next subfolder over is 2, followed by 3, 4 etc etc.

Then move from left to right and stop at the last folder you want to allow on multiple disk. The corresponding number is the split level. From left to right

- I want Movies on multiple disks, ok I can use level 1.

- I want Adult, Family and Children on multiple disks, ok I can use level 2.

- I do not want A Day in the Life to be on mutiple disks, it is not ok to use level 3.

Peter, I appreciate the response.  Ok, this is how I figured it all worked (despite the fact that I likely sounded like a fumbling idiot in my OP).

To make sure I have this down, though.. lets assume I set a level 2 split.  The following would exist on all physical discs?

Movies/Adult

?

That is WHEN the space is needed to actually span across more than one disc (I get that much).

My concern is that, I do not wish any ONE movie's files (in my case, for now, only one file per movie, ISO container) to be spanned amongst different physical drives.  Using my diagram (omitting the "Media" as you and I established), a level 2 split tell's unRAID simply, "I want [Movies] and [Adult] to be constant directory/subdirectory amongst all physical discs when space is needed, but, any other subdirectories off of [Adult] must have it's contents FILES and SUBDIRECTORIES alike to be contained to one physical disc" ?  If that's not the case, then, let me say, that is what I'm after. <grin>

To make sure I have this down, though.. lets assume I set a level 2 split.  The following would exist on all physical discs?

Movies/Adult

?

That is WHEN the space is needed to actually span across more than one disc (I get that much).

My concern is that, I do not wish any ONE movie's files (in my case, for now, only one file per movie, ISO container) to be spanned amongst different physical drives.  Using my diagram (omitting the "Media" as you and I established), a level 2 split tell's unRAID simply, "I want [Movies] and [Adult] to be constant directory/subdirectory amongst all physical discs when space is needed, but, any other subdirectories off of [Adult] must have it's contents FILES and SUBDIRECTORIES alike to be contained to one physical disc" ?  If that's not the case, then, let me say, that is what I'm after. <grin>

Correct - based on your diagram, Split Level two would allow Movies and any subfolder (Adult, Children, etc) to span disks, but any subfolder of one of those would be contained to the single disk it is originally created on.

So..

disk1\movies\adult\movie1

disk2\movies\adult\movie2

Everything within Movie 1 will always be written to disk1 and everything in Movie2 will be written to disk2. Your alllocation method would determined when it starts writting "movie" folders to disk2, once a limit on disk1 is hit. Also, remeber to set a minimum free space - typically a least as much as the biggest single file you might write to the disk. Will help you from filling a drive. Then you know you have to move some data around. :)

Shawn

Correct - based on your diagram, Split Level two would allow Movies and any subfolder (Adult, Children, etc) to span disks, but any subfolder of one of those would be contained to the single disk it is originally created on.

So..

disk1\movies\adult\movie1

disk2\movies\adult\movie2

Everything within Movie 1 will always be written to disk1 and everything in Movie2 will be written to disk2. Your alllocation method would determined when it starts writting "movie" folders to disk2, once a limit on disk1 is hit. Also, remeber to set a minimum free space - typically a least as much as the biggest single file you might write to the disk. Will help you from filling a drive. Then you know you have to move some data around. :)

Shawn

Excellent, thank you for the confirmation Shawn.  I set the minimum free space to 20GB.  I think the part that was throwing me was the actual creation of the shares.  I went ahead and created a "Movies" on all physical disks, then inside of that, the "Adult", "Family" and "Children" sub-directories.  I also made the root directories and their subs for "Music" and "Pictures" as well while I was at it.

The moment I setup a share in the share menu for "Movies", it was only then (refreshing the shares page did nothing) that the shares were automatically assumed for music and pictures, at which time I configured those shares accordingly individually and "apply"ing each one at a time.

The split level of course was a concern, but, the mainstay of me being stumped was, after creating the directory structure (knowing that I read unRAID would automatically detect the desire to create a share based off them - user shares was enabled the entire time creating these directories) I hit refresh on the browser and nadda.  The nature of the beast of unRAID I suppose.  Though all is well that ends well.

Now I get to move the data to the array which is the topic of another thread.  I would say this question has been answered quite adequately and despite my frustration, if ever the route to go unRAID was in question, it's support like that which you and the others above you provided which nullifies such questions in my decision.  Thank you all!

Archived