221bBS: Norco RPC-4224 (first build): Level 1 Tested: UPDATED 2011-05-24

Components, Part 1

With the help of Raj's Prototype Designs and the forum community, I've ordered everything I need to build my first server. My server is based of Raj's 24 Drive Budget Build (rackmount). Hopefully I'll get everything by next weekend.

I like to thank everyone that's helped me so far. I'd never have attempted to build an unRaid server without your help.

I'll be updating this post regularly, I've also posted pics of me building the server with comments on my experience with unRaid a few posts down.

Components, Part 2

Building My Server, Part 1

Building My Server, Part 2

OS at time of building:

unRAID 4.7 Pro

CPU:

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor SDX140HBGQBOX

NewEgg: $38.99

th_CPU-Boxed.jpg th_CPU-unBoxed.jpg

Motherboard:

JetWay JHZ03-GT-V2-LF AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

NewEgg: $79.99 + $7.33 (S/H) = $87.32

th_Motherboard-Boxed.jpg th_Motherboard-unBoxed.jpg

RAM:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT

NewEgg: $39.99

th_RAM-Boxed.jpg th_RAM-unBoxed.jpg

Case:

NORCO RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Server Case with 24 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays

Mwave: $374.99 - $11.25 (3% Discount) = $363.74

th_Case-Boxed.jpg th_Case-BoxedOpen.jpg th_CaseunBoxedFront2.jpg th_CaseunBoxedFront1.jpg th_CaseunBoxedFront3.jpg th_CaseunBoxedSide.jpg th_CaseunBoxedBack2.jpg th_CaseunBoxedBack1.jpg th_Case-OpenParts.jpg

Drive Cage(s):

Included with NORCO RPC-4224

th_CaseunBoxedDriveCage1.jpg th_CaseunBoxedDriveCage2.jpg

PSU:

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

NewEgg: $89.99 - $5.00 (Coupon) - $15.00 (MIR) = $69.99

th_PSU-Boxed.jpg th_PSU-unBoxed.jpg

SATA Expansion Cards:

SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS SAS RAID Controller x 2

SuperBiiz: 2 @ $99.99 - $5.00 (Coupon) = $194.98

th_SUPERMICROSATAControllerCard-Box.jpg th_SUPERMICROSATAControllerCard-unBox.jpg

SATA2 Serial ATA II PCI-Express RAID Controller Card (Silicon Image SIL3132)

MonoPrice: $14.48 + $2.22 (S/H) = $16.70

th_SATAController-Boxed.jpg th_SATAController-unBoxed.jpg

Cables:

House Brand Molex 79576-3007 Mini SAS / SATA Cable x 2

SurplusComputers: 2 @ $5.99 = $11.98

NORCO SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Internal Multilane SAS Cable x 4

Amzaon Market: 4 @ $12.50 = $50.00 + $7.69 (S/H) = $57.69

th_Cables-unBoxed.jpg

Base Server Cost: $881.38

Fanplate:

TBD

Fans:

TBD

Pictures of the stock fanplate and fans that goes inside the case

th_InsideFanFront.jpg th_InsideFanBack.jpg

UPS:

APC BX1300G Power Saving Back-UPS XS 1300VA/780 Watt

OfficeMax: $109.99 + $6.60 (Tax) = $116.59

th_UPS-Boxed.jpg th_UPS-unBoxed.jpg th_UPS-unBoxedFront.jpg th_UPS-unBoxedSide.jpg th_UPS-unBoxedBack.jpg

OS/Flash Drives

2: 2GB USB2.0 Flash device containing unRAID Server OS Pro registration

Lime Technology: $169.00

th_OS-Boxed.jpg th_OS-unBoxed.jpg

Server Cost So Far: $1166.97

syslog-2011-05-24_JetWay_JHZ03-GT-V2-LF_-_Level_1.zip

Components, Part 2

Hard Drives:

HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive x4

NewEgg: 2 @ $79.99 - $20.00 (MIR) = $139.98

Amazon: 2 @ $79.99 =$159.98

th_HITACHIDeskstar5K3000-Boxed.jpg th_HITACHIDeskstar5K3000-BoxedInside.jpg th_HITACHIDeskstar5K3000-unBoxed.jpg th_HITACHIDeskstar5K3000-unBoxedBack.jpg

Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

Amazon: $74.99

th_SeagateHardDrive-Boxed.jpg th_SeagateHardDrive-BoxedInside.jpg th_SeagateHardDrive-unBoxed.jpg th_SeagateHardDrive-unBoxedInside.jpg

Use about 10 green hard drives I already have.

Server Cost So Far: $1541.92

Network Switch:

TRENDnet TEG-S8g 10/100/1000Mbps 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet Switch 8 x RJ45 8K MAC Address Table 128KB Buffer Memory

NewEgg: $34.99 - $10.00 (Coupon) = $24.99

th_Switch-Boxed.jpg th_Switch-BoxedBack.jpg th_Switch-unBoxed.jpg

Network Card:

Rosewill RC-400 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI V2.2, 32/64-bit, 33/66MHz Networking LAN Card With Heatsink & 4 LED indicators

NewEgg: $14.99 + $2.99 (Shipping) = $17.98

th_NetworkCard-Boxed.jpg th_NetworkCard-unBoxed.jpg

Network Cable:

BYTECC C6EB-5K 5 ft. Cat 6 Black Enhanced 550MHz Patch Cables x 3

NewEgg: 3 @ $3.29 = $9.87

th_Cat6Cables-Boxed.jpg th_Cat6Cables-unBoxed.jpg

Server Cost So Far: $1594.76

Misc:

Rosewill RTK-090 90 Piece Professional Computer Tool Kit

NewEgg: $39.99 - $10.00 (Coupon) = $29.99

th_ToolKit-Boxed.jpg th_ToolKit-BoxedBack.jpg th_ToolKit-unBoxedClosed.jpg th_ToolKit-unBoxedOpen.jpg

P3 Kill A Watt Electricity Load Meter and Monitor

NewEgg: $16.99 + $2.99 (S/H) = $19.98

th_KiillAWatt-Boxed.jpg th_KillAWatt-unBoxed.jpg

Total Cost of Server: $1644.73

Unraid Addons:

UnMENU

--Apcupsd

--Bandwidth Monitor NG

--‘C’ compiler and development tools

--Clean Powerdown

--Mail and ssmtp

--Monthly parity check

--PCI Utilities

--perl (Larry Wall's ‘Practical Extraction and Report Language’)

--PHP

--Power-Down on disk overtemp

--Status Alert sent hourly by e-mail

Directory Caching

Preclear Disk

Smart History

SNAP

Forum posts I've started to help me build my server

SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEA-O vs JetWay JHZ03-GT-V2-LF

Advice on what UPS I should get

Advice on the rest (CPU, RAM, etc...)

Fan selection

6Gb/s HDD on 3Gb/s boards

Preclearing/Deleting Backups

[sOLVED] Syslog/Smart status errors

Building My Server, PART 1

Here's photo of me building my first computer. First thing I did was put the PSU. Very easy to do, took 4 screws.

th_01PSU.jpg th_02PSU.jpg th_03PSU.jpg

I decided to add the cables next. This was by far the hardest part. I had to remove the fanplate because I couldn't plug in any of the cables on the bottom.

th_04Connections.jpg th_05Connections.jpg th_06Connections.jpg th_07Connections.jpg th_08Connections.jpg th_09Connections.jpg th_10Connections.jpg th_11Connections.jpg th_12Connections.jpg th_13Connections.jpg th_14Connections.jpg th_15Connections.jpg th_16SoFar.jpg

Next was the motherboard, very easy. Had to move few of the standoffs to make it work with my motherboard.

th_17Motherboard.jpg th_18Motherboard.jpg th_19Motherboard.jpg th_20SoFar.jpg th_21SoFar.jpg

Added the CPU, fan and plugged in the fan to the motherboard.

th_22CPU.jpg th_23CPU.jpg

Attached all the Norco RPC-4224 cables to the motherboard and also the power cables from the PSU. Only had problems figuring out where the POWER LED + and POWER LED - cables went. Finally figured it out after a search. The POWER LED - (Yellow) went to the VCC5 PWD LED and the POWER LED + (Purple) went to the PWRLED PWR LED.

th_24Cables.jpg th_25Cables.jpg th_26Cables.jpg th_27Cables.jpg th_28SoFar.jpg

Added the only SATA Controller Card that arrived to the motherboard.

th_29SATAControllerCard.jpg th_30SATAControllerCard.jpg th_31SoFar.jpg

Plugged in all the SATA cables that I could and did a little bit of cable management.

th_32CableManagement.jpg th_33CableManagement.jpg th_34CableManagement.jpg th_35SoFar.jpg th_36SoFar.jpg

Added RAM.

th_38RAM.jpg th_39RAM.jpg th_40SoFar.jpg th_41SoFar.jpg

And finally added the 2 hard drives that arrived.

th_42HardDrive.jpg th_43HardDrive.jpg th_44HardDrive.jpg th_45HardDrive.jpg th_46HardDrive.jpg

I'm still waiting for 2 SATA controller cards and hard drives. Until then I'll work on the BIOS setup, preclear the 2 hard drives that I have and start messing around with unRaid.

I just finished hooking up the server (monitor, keyboard, etc...) and did a boot to the BIOS. Looks good so far.

Update: few hours later

Ok, took a quick look at the BIOS, only changed it to boot from usb flash drive. Was able to log into my tower. Installed preclear and unmenu. Used How To preclear your hard drives for use in your unRAID servers by GreenLeaf Technology to help me figure out how to preclear. Preclearing the 2 drives right now and messing around with unmenu.

I was thinking I would have more trouble with unRaid but everything is running fine. ;D

Update: 2011-05-14

I stopped preclearing after a few hours because I found out my hard drives should be labeled sdx but one of the two was labeled hdx. Made the following changes in BIOS which seem to have fixed the problem.

Integrated Peripherals > Onboard SATA Device > OnChip SATA Type > AHCI

Integrated Peripherals > Onboard SATA Device > SATA IDE Combined Mode > Disabled

I had to set the server to boot from the flash drive again because it reset after the change. I also noticed that in the BIOS > Standard BIOS Features all the SATA CHannels were turn to Not Dectected. I don't think I need to worry about this.

Started unRaid and looked at the syslog in unMenu and got the following errors.

May 13 22:49:44 Tower kernel: ACPI Warning: Optional field Pm2ControlBlock has zero address or length: 0000000000000000/1 (20090903/tbfadt-557) (Minor Issues)
May 13 22:49:44 Tower kernel: ACPI Error (psargs-0359): [ECEN] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (Minor Issues)
May 13 22:49:44 Tower kernel: ACPI Error (psparse-0537): Method parse/execution failed [\] (Node c14760c8), AE_NOT_FOUND (Minor Issues)
May 13 22:49:44 Tower kernel: atiixp 0000:00:14.1: simplex device: DMA disabled (Errors)
May 13 22:49:44 Tower kernel: ide1: DMA disabled (Errors)
May 13 22:49:48 Tower emhttp: shcmd (6): killall -HUP smbd (Minor Issues)

Did a search and found out that it's nothing to worry about.

Installed some addons (look at first post to get a list)

Added the following lines to unMenu > Config View/Edit > /boot/config/go

/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/cache_dirs  -d  8  -m  3  -M  5  -w

This will start SNAP, unMenu and Cache Directory when unRaid starts.

Went to unMenu > unRAID Main > Settings and changed

time zone

Use NTP to yes

NTP Server 1 to north-america.pool.ntp.org

Finally started preclearing the two drives I have with the following command

/boot/preclear_disk.sh -c 2 -A /dev/sdx

This will have preclear run 2 cycles on each drive.

I saw the temp go up to 31C but seems to hold mostly at 30c

Speed is holding around 100 MB/s but started around 120 MB/s when I first began.

Using about 80 watts preclearing 2 drives.

Mod edit: Fixed broken link to Greenleaf Blog :)

- Raj

Building My Server, PART 2

Just got the rest of my stuff.

Installed the SUPERMICRO SATA controller cards. Had to replace the L-Bracket that was on the card with the longer one.

th_01SATAController.jpg th_02SATAController.jpg th_03SATAController.jpg th_04SATAController.jpg th_05SATAController.jpg th_06SATAController.jpg

Finally Cable management.

th_07Cable.jpg th_08Cable.jpg th_09Cable.jpg th_10Cable.jpg

I still have to buy replacement fans but I'll do that later.

I decided to download/configure apcupsd software for my PC. I used the old version (v3.14.3) on unRAID and the new one (v3.14.8 ) on my PC. I only changed one thing on the unRAID apcupsd config:

Battery Level: 25

On my PC, I made the following changes in the config file:

POLLTIME 30
UPSCABLE ether
UPSTYPE net
DEVICE tower:3551
BATTERYLEVEL 35
MINUTES 6
TIMEOUT 240

Tested the UPS by unplugging it, both computers powered down after a few minutes  ;D

preclearing the rest of my drives for 3 cycles

/boot/preclear_disk.sh -c 3 -A /dev/sdx

I also decided to preclear the 2 drives I had TWO more timeS

/boot/preclear_disk.sh -C 2-A /dev/sdx

I'll wait till everything is precleared before I start moving stuff.

UPDATE: 2011-05-20

I finished preclearing for 3 cycles, FINALLY, on all my drives. 2 of the disk took 4 days to complete the rest took 3 days. The ones that took 4 days was on the SATA2 Serial ATA II PCI-Express RAID Controller Card. Since the controller card seem to have a slower connection then the rest I decided to use them for my SNAP drives.

The day after I started preclearing, I noticed some new errors in the syslog, so I asked for some help here . It seemed that I might have loosen some of my connections to the hard drives when I was doing cable management. After preclearing the drives I checked/tightened all the connections.

Ran 2 passes of MemTest just to make sure that my RAM was OK.

Started the array, formmated the drives and now in the process of doing a parity-sync. ETA 9 hours ??? LOL, how can a sync take so long when there's nothing to sync.

Few days ago, I realized that I had no idea what type of speed my network was capable of. When I checked I found that it was only 10/100 for my computer and router. Today I bought a switch (on sale), cat 6 cables and network card for my computer. Cost of my server is now around $1650, $150 over what I wanted to spend and I still want new fans.

UPDATE: 2011-05-22

Power Consumption Test 1

This test consist of the all the parts in the basic server cost list plus 6 hard drives.

1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 (Parity)

5 x 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000

Boot (peak): 137 W

Idle (avg): 90 W

Active (avg): 122 W

Light use (avg): 102 W

UPDATE: 2011-05-23

Forgot to mention in the previous post that I kept getting a No sensors message in my syslog and I should run "sensors-detect". When I did it wouldn't run without the perl addon on unMenu. So I added it and ran the command. Followed the directions and now the no sensors messages has stopped.

I decided to create my own MySlots picture but I wasn't really sure how to do it. Finally decided to use a spreadsheet program to create the picture.

th_MySlots.jpg th_MySlotsFilled.jpg

I've attached the spreadsheet file at the bottom of this post. I saved it to Microsoft Office xls format. Open the file, view in print preview, view in full screen, zoom and take a screenshot. Crop the picture using your favorite image editor. If you don't have a spreadsheet program you can download a free one at OpenOffice.

UPDATE: 2011-05-24

I received my order for my network gear from NewEgg. Posted Pics on Components, Part 2.

Powered down my computer and server, hooked my computer and server to the switch and used my old NIC to connect to the internet. Powered on the computer and installed the driver for the NIC. Bridged the connection on the old and new NIC. Rebooted computer, booted the server. Logged on to Tower, PASSED. Tested the internet connection on the server by sending myself an email, PASSED. Started file transfer, A LOT FASTER!

Installed 2 old 2TB Wester Digital Green drives when I had the server powered down and started preclearing. Only doing 1 cycle for these since they've never showed any signs of defect since I bought them.

/boot/preclear_disk.sh -A /dev/sd?

MySlots.zip

Looking good.

Man, those reverse breakout cables you got are way long.

I agree, I always try to go as short as possible but at least he got them nice and tidy :)

LOL, yeah. I didn't pay much attention to the length of the cable when I ordered it.

I was thinking about his long cables now that i just had my cover off mine.

At least he can reach his 2 port add-on card. I'll be pulling mine a bit tighter then I want.

There is plenty-o-room in the 42xx's.

I just noticed you got the old version. and you just got that?

There is nothing wrong with that flavor vs the new one.

some people prefer it for the USB port.

I hear the 3rd version with by a mix of v1 @ v2. the USB will be in the actual handle.. 

I was thinking about his long cables now that i just had my cover off mine.

At least he can reach his 2 port add-on card. I'll be pulling mine a bit tighter then I want.

There is plenty-o-room in the 42xx's.

I just noticed you got the old version. and you just got that?

There is nothing wrong with that flavor vs the new one.

some people prefer it for the USB port.

I hear the 3rd version with by a mix of v1 @ v2. the USB will be in the actual handle.. 

Yeah, just got it from Mwave. I actually wanted this version because of the usb but never thought I'd get it, so I'm happy.

I have seen issues with longer cables, some controllers are built for longer runs (mostly add on controllers) so thats why I feel shorter is better, as well as improper bends (most issues i have seen are do to this, detecting a 3.0 drive as 1.5, a 6.0 drive as 3.0, etc.). The Norco 4224 is at rev 3 at least.

v1 usb up front.

v2 no usb up front, front panel wiring ULTRA thin ribbon cables with large connectors at the end

v2 no usb up front, front panel wiring is ultra thin but stops at the entrence of the chassis (mid plate area) and converts to regular wires with regular connector ends. Lots of pics on this chassis on the 4224 thread http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5912.0

Fan changes in some of these above as well.

well, not to hijack the thread. I think the  little mini revisions are not being considered a full Version. maybe you can call mine a ver 2.1 LoL..

I think norco themselves are calling the next one ver or revision 3?

@221,

Then that worked out in your favor. good for you.

Now if only they gave us free 120mm fanplates..

I am thinking of ordering one and the fans i mentioned in your fan thread. not till next paycheck though. this week was a bit more expensive then i expected.

$ isnt that always the case.

I do agree with you on the revisions. I just slapped up what I though, dont know what the manf. is labeling them but it would be nice to know. Many DARK secrets with them.

1) Like we will add a bounch of metal sh^t in a small box with no parts list and see how many people we can drive up the Fin wall.

2) We tell eveyone at launch it will come with a 120 Fan plate, once a few thousand people order and drop a dime we did not, we will blame the part supplier and offer to send one out later, few more thousand orders later, multipule revision what still no 120mm fan plate in them, hum.... cant blame the parts supplier. We'll just sell them for $22 buck fu&k it.

Thats how I read in between the lines  :-\

I am thinking of ordering one and the fans i mentioned in your fan thread. not till next paycheck though. this week was a bit more expensive then i expected.

I need to replace all the fans, they're to LOUD!!!!

I need to replace all the fans, they're to LOUD!!!!

Check out the 4224 thread and the 4224 rear fan thread

You might have different mid fans then me,

I am running the factory ones right now. When the lid is on, it really dampens the sound.

I mostly hear the woosh of air going through it.

it is annoying if i am next to it, but across the room it is not so bad.

My one desktop is still louder. I plan to use the failed fan attempt from my norco in that unit to shut it the f up...

I think most of the noise is coming from the rear fans.

I found the info on both the rear and mid plate fans that shipped with the Norco 4224:

Mid Plate: (4) Size: 80 x 80 x 25.4 mm / Speed: 3000 RPM / Air Flow: 35.31 CFMs / Noise Level: 31.0 dB-A / Pins: 2 / PWM: NO

Delta Electronics, Inc Part Number: AFB0812H

http://www.datasheetpro.com/508371_download_AFB0812H_datasheet.html

Rear: (2) Size: 80 x 80 x 38 mm / Speed: 5700 RPM / Air Flow: 80.16 CFMs / Noise Level: 52.5 dB-A / Pins: 2 / PWM: NO

Delta Electronics, Inc Part Number: FFB0812EHE

http://www.datasheetpro.com/506649_download_FFB0812EHE_datasheet.html

Updated part 2 of my component list, had to buy some networking stuff and Building My Server, Part 2

Just to throw it in there...this is a great post about how you're building your server. Keep on going, we're watching (and salivating)...

Thanks, I haven't posted an update because I was waiting for preclearing to finish. I was going to test how much power my server uses today but parity-sync is going to take a long time.