Include Disk(s) Setting Not Restricting Shares

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm running Unraid 6.9.2 and have been having an issue with the "Include Disk(s)" setting seemingly not properly restricting the disks that files in my shares are saving to.   I have each one of my shares set to use specific disks to limit which disks get spun up for certain tasks.   I've noticed however that files from these shares are ending up on disks not specified in each share's respective "Include Disk(s)" setting.  

For example, I have my "tv" share (which contains all of my TV episode media files) set to include disks 13 and 14.  However I just found "tv" share folders with files (files relatively recently added) on disks 8, 9, and 10.   So I'm using unBalance to move them all over to 13 and 14.  I've found similar issues with numerous other shares.  (It's not a space issue, as the specified disk groups for each share do have free space on them.)

I should also note that I am not using the "Exclude Disk(s)" setting, just the Include.

Has anyone else experienced this?   Is there something else I need to do, settings-wise, to make this restriction work?  

Edited by MSOBadger
12 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Share settings look correct, is the data to tv share being transferred over the LAN directly to the share or locally from another share?

The data is generally coming from the "downloads" share - manual cut/paste via a remote rootshare accessed from my laptop.  I am also seeing this issue with the "movies", "wrestling" and "videos" shares (there might have been others but those are the ones I recall for sure).

Edited by MSOBadger
9 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Using a root share will bypass the user shares and make Unraid ignore share settings.

Ahh... Ok, that explains it then.  I always use the rootshare when transferring files from my "downloads" share into their destination shares as it ensures all of the traffic remains local rather than going across the network from the origin server share to my device and then back to the server destination share.    Thank you!

Is there a better way of doing this that will keep the traffic local but respect the share settings?   I'm pretty green on Linux so I generally access everything via SMB via my Windows devices.

47 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If you're using Windows 8 or later you can transfer the files using Windows explorer and user shares and the operation will be done locally, using Samba's server side copy.

Excellent.  Thank you again for all of the support!  Much appreciated!