[SOLVED]: Problems with my AOC-SASLP-MV8 Cards

I have been having an issue that has been seriously irritating me.   I am trying to rebuild my server with the parts mentioned below.   I have installed 2x AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards.  I have already diasabled the INT13 setting and have flashed them both to version .15.  I have a total of 20 drives plugged in.  I also have 4 of the drives plugged in into the motherboard. The system seems to hang up right after the controller cards initialize, but if I remove any of the cables off of any of either of the AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards, it will boot up.  If I leave them plugged in it will not boot.  I know it's not the cards since I have three of them and everyone is doing the same thing.  My next move it to change the motherboard, but I want to hold off until I have no other option.   Can anyone recommend a board that has no problems accepting 2 of these cards but is not expensive?

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEA

Memory: GSKIL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3

Case: Norco 4220

Controller Card: 2x AOC-SASLP-MV8

Process of elimination.  But, unsure what you mean by rebuild.  I assume you want to ensure the data on the drives (which are from a previous unRAID build?) are safe.  I would disconnect all of them during this "testing" phase of a rebuild.

Then, pull one of the MV8 cards.  See if it boots fine.  If so, shutdown, try the other card, etc.  I mean, without a log of error or what not, much less it getting beyond the hardware stage of things.. there's no telling unless someone (hopefully) has this setup and/or intimate knowledge of it.

Hopefully it gets straightened out for you soon.

Process of elimination.  But, unsure what you mean by rebuild.  I assume you want to ensure the data on the drives (which are from a previous unRAID build?) are safe.  I would disconnect all of them during this "testing" phase of a rebuild.

Then, pull one of the MV8 cards.  See if it boots fine.  If so, shutdown, try the other card, etc.  I mean, without a log of error or what not, much less it getting beyond the hardware stage of things.. there's no telling unless someone (hopefully) has this setup and/or intimate knowledge of it.

That is what I exactly did.  Actually it will boot up with both cards plugged in, but not with all the cables plugged in. I have switched cards, replaced cards, etc.  Unless I am missing some BIOS setting in the MB, I am not sure what do do except change the MB.

Bad cables, or incompatible firmware on one of the hard drives that are connected to the cables would be my guess then.

Removes all drives (i.e. disconnect them), then connect one by one.  Or, give a list of the drives you have (probably still a good idea regardless if you do the one-by-one drive connect) so that the experts here can see what you have.  Not to say it's the correct step(s), is just what I would do.

I had a similar issue and it was a bad hdd.  Best to boot with 1 drive, then 2, then 3, etc.. until you find the culprit.

Well I wen through every drive, but it stopped working when I got to drive 19.  Then I went and pulled any two drives and it booted as well.  It does not seem to be any one drive,  it just doesn't like all 20 plugged in.  Very frustrating..

Glad the PM helped you out.  To fill everyone else in:  This mobo has an ATA100/IDE connection, which unless disabled in the BIOS will make/use the first two SATA ports useless (or if an attempt is made at using the SATA will lock up the POST at the MV8 initialization point).

@OP, when you get a chance edit the subject of your first post to include [sOLVED] in the beginning of it.

Glad the PM helped you out.  To fill everyone else in:  This mobo has an ATA100/IDE connection, which unless disabled in the BIOS will make/use the first two SATA ports useless (or if an attempt is made at using the SATA will lock up the POST at the MV8 initialization point).

@OP, when you get a chance edit the subject of your first post to include [sOLVED] in the beginning of it.

As granprix mentioned I was finally able to figure this out.  There was a setting in the bios that made my first two drive IDE and caused conflicts.  I just couldn't understand why if I pulled two drive out of my array it would boot up.  Anyway, thanks for all those helped and gave me advice.  I was down 1 week and I am just relieved to move on.  My movies are back up!!!