Two new data drives added to the aray fail to format

Go to solution Solved by DontWorryScro,

I added two new data drives to the array a couple days ago and they went through the clearing process after I assigned them to Disk 20 and Disk 21.

Once the Clear completed I see the message "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout" which I took for a grain of salt as I knew I hadn't formatted yet. 

image.png.eb91682761c5e91956777e16a31dd5e0.png

I move down Main/Array Operation - and select the Format check box which then asks me to confirm I want to do this.  Yes, yes I do.  The screen refreshes as the above message switches to "Formatting".  However after a few seconds the screen auto refreshes again and reverts back to the previous message of being Unmountable.

Why is this?

Please feel free to ask me any questions in order to better gather details for a solution.

• Solution

Nevermind, I figured it out. These 2 drives were shucked Western Digital Elements drives.  I had to stop the array, unassign the drives so that I could access whatever partitions were in there manually in Unassigned Devices. I saw that there were "Elements" partitions on each drive. I deleted them, reassigned, and then they formatted ok.

11 minutes ago, DontWorryScro said:

Just run this without the check mark I assume?

Yep. Hopefully there will be zero errors. If there is any other result it would be nice to know why. Your description of adding the drives and the order of events leaves me suspicious that something didn't go right.

When was the last time you had a zero error parity check?

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Yep. Hopefully there will be zero errors. If there is any other result it would be nice to know why. Your description of adding the drives and the order of events leaves me suspicious that something didn't go right.

When was the last time you had a zero error parity check?

image.thumb.png.ffbb22e55684b92eb48340462436085d.png

I had purchased 6 14TB drives and so much of what you are seeing are an added parity drive and swapping out 3 8 TB drives for 14 TB drives and having them rebuild.  Then the final 2 additions were strictly add-on drives, not any sort of swap or upgrade to already existing ones.