Move Boot USB to Different USB Port

I tried moving the Unraid boot drive to a USB 3.1 port . For some unknown reason Unraid boots normally, but doesn't display the gui. I moved the Unraid boot USB back to the original port and it worked again. I thought you can move from one USB port to another?. 

Question:

How do I move my Unraid boot USB from USB 2.0 port to a USB 3.1 port on my motherboards I/O?

1 hour ago, PeteyBoPetey said:

How do I move my Unraid boot USB from USB 2.0 port to a USB 3.1 port on my motherboards I/O?

Why do you even want to do this?   USB2 ports seem to be far more reliable when booting and since after initial load Unraid runs from RAM there is no significant performance advantage to using USB 3.x ports.

btw he's actually using a 3.0 controller, intel, not a 2.0. His mb doesn't have usb 2 controllers.

IOMMU group 15:			 	[8086:a2af] 00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
IOMMU group 34:			 	[1912:0015] 04:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720202 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 02)
IOMMU group 35:			 	[1912:0015] 05:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720202 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 02)
IOMMU group 36:			 	[1912:0015] 06:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720202 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 02)
IOMMU group 37:			 	[1912:0015] 07:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720202 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 02)
IOMMU group 38:			 	[1b21:2142] 08:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
IOMMU group 40:			 	[1b21:2142] 0a:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
IOMMU group 42:			 	[1b21:2142] 0c:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2142 USB 3.1 Host Controller

Working: intel.

Not working: I think the asmedia one.

Edited by ghost82
2 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

btw he's actually using a 3.0 controller, intel, not a 2.0. His mb doesn't have usb 2 controllers.

Interesting (not even internal ones?) - why was USB2 mentioned then I wonder?  Still the question is still valid as to why change ports from one that works to one that does not.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Interesting (not even internal ones?)

I'm not sure about this, but if internal headers are on the mobo, they should be attached to a usb 2 controller, which doesn't show, that's why I'm assuming no usb 2 is present there.

why was USB2 mentioned then I wonder?

I think it's a user error.

Still the question is still valid as to why change ports from one that works to one that does not.

He wants to passthrough rgb things to vm so that he can control natively the lights.

He could, if he has enough ports on other controllers move all the devices to asmedia/renesas.

Linked topic:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/123348-cant-passthrough-usb-devices-always-together/

Edited by ghost82

It was user error, I just automatically said USB 2.0 because I was referring to the slowest ports on my motherboard that are in fact on the USB 3 controller THAT support USB 2.0.

I'm having hella trouble with passed through USB devices, Corsair and ASUS Aura won't work and whilst my keyboard and mouse work passed through they need to be hardwired because the wireless dongles won't work when passed through. Considering everything I want to passthrough in on the IOMMU 15 controller the smart thing to do is to pass the whole controller through so all the USB devices work as though it's a bare metal machine?. However, the Unraid boot USB is on that controller. Because it's a physical device I can simply plug it into a different port, hence using a different controller.

Additionally, you can ignore the Renesas controllers as those 4 controller are on a 4 port pcie card that I can't seem to get to work. That's next on my "To Do" list. 

TIA

Peter

BTW, thanks for the input guys ;D 

iommu.txt

Edited by PeteyBoPetey
Added iommu list

Ok, the plan is to buy this pcie x1 to usb adaptor and boot unraid from an internal pcie x 1 slot freeing up all 3 USB controllers on my motherboard so I can passthrough the Corsair, ASUS Aura hub to my VM and one each of the other controllers to the other two VM's so each VM will have a bare metal controller for hot plug and play.

3 hours ago, PeteyBoPetey said:

the plan is to buy this pcie x1 to usb adaptor

It wont work, that is part of a pcie riser, it wont boot your pendrive because it doesn't have a usb controller chip on it.

You need a pcie card with a usb controller.

Like this (this is only an example):

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/192208998631?epid=15028857647&hash=item2cc08c90e7:g:-ZoAAOSwMD1gIK6J

That has 2 external usb 3 port + internal header for other 2 ports.

Edited by ghost82