Counfiguring 802.3ad LACP

Go to solution Solved by MAM59,

I'm afraid to say I'm a bit confused as to what a proper config looks like. 

Presumably I need to enable bonding and selecting 802.3ad for eth0. From that point is where it gets hazier. Do I need to mirror the config for eth0 with eth1? That seems impossible at the moment, though that may be due to eth1 having no cable connected, as the only bonding option on the dropdown is itself. What about the rest of the details? Does configuring them on eth0 carry over to eth1?

Is this right:

ACUGdDt.png

Edited by Adiventure

no need to mirror any setting. just make sure the switch to which the two ports are connected is set for the same type of bonding for this ports.

Attach a cable, and maybe you need to click then "port up" on eth1 (it now seems to be disabled manually, but it maybe turn on again automatically, if a link can be establish. you will see it when you put in the cable)

The most complicated stuff is to select the correct bonding mode because many devices have their own interpretation on how a trunk should work.

(But many people have the idea that bonding/trunking will speed up their LAN. This is mostly wrong, it only helps to split connections between the cards, so that ideally 2 clients can get full speed on both cards. But in reality, many factors work against this. So usually, it is only a way to help against line failures in some special cases (it does not help much because both lines end up at the same switch and if this fails, both are dead at the same time))

Aggregating many 1G lines does not compensate for switching to 10G or even higher.

Edited by MAM59

Great.

To make sure I'm understanding correctly, as long as the settings are configured correctly on ethos the settings for eth1 don't particularly matter? I don't need to select bonding on it as well? What about a semi unrelated setting, such as enable vlans? Does that not need to be the same between both interfaces?

• Solution

as long as eth1 is in the bonding list of eth0, no local setting is applied. its just a clone of eth0

(the gui could be a bit more helpful by disabling all these entries)

But, as I said above, things may change if you start the eth1 interface by hitting the "Port up" button (no cable needed for this!)

Yeah, I was able to set it up in between my last message and yours, and just a minute ago solved the only other issue which was one interface showing as FE and not GBE. 

In all it's easy, but you're right either the interface could be changed or at least have some tooltips added, or the documentation could go into more detail.