Lost a drive

Hi everyone. My first post!

I've just started my first unRAID. I have a couple drives, one is totally empty, but the rest have stuff on them. The plan is to not use parity immediately as I'll have a new drive coming soon which I'll add as the parity drive. So for now I'm just trying to get the machine running. While trying to work out how to transfer my stuff, I mounted one of the drives which are full. For some reason which I can't remember, I soon after shut it down, took that drive out and I connected another one of my drives. I then started it again, and then I did the same and put a completely different drive in. I repeated it again and this time I put the previous drive back in, not the one which has my stuff. I wasn't able to access the data on this drive and I noticed that both it and the drive that has my stuff on it, were both showing up as historical drives. I thought that seeing that I wasn't able to access this drive it may have been because I connected it to a different port, so I thought that if I cleared both drives as historical drives, then this drive might work, and when I go to install the drive that has stuff on it, I wouldn't then have any possible issues. So I go and remove the historical drives, I turn it off and I reinstalled my drive with my stuff on it. Now this drive won't work; it won't show up at all. 

I won't be surprised if the above lists things that I didn't need to do, so please don't go into the reasons too much, coz it's done now. I would just like to have access to the drive again. 

I still have a SSD with a working Windows 10 on it, and I can't see the drive in the Windows environment either. This probably means that somehow I may of killed the drive, but before I firmly come to this conclusion I thought I'd ask here. 

The drive is a WD Gold drive which I bought just over 4 years ago, so it's still under warranty, so in terms of storage space in covered, but this isn't obviously the case for it's contents. 

Anyways, I'm keen to hear why ideas!

Cheers! 

Did you remember to unmount the drives before removing them?  If not that can explain things getting confusing and you would need to reboot to clear this up.

If that is does not help then you should include your system's diagnostics zip file so we can see more of what is going on.  If you must use splitter cables then molex->SATA ones are better and without molded on connectors.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Did you remember to unmount the drives before removing them?  If not that can explain things getting confusing and you would need to reboot to clear this up.

If that is does not help then you should include your system's diagnostics zip file so we can see more of what is going on.  If you must use splitter cables then molex->SATA ones are better and without molded on connectors.

Thanks for replying!

I can't remember if I unmounted the drive or not. I've done a few reboots which haven't helped.

AND MY DRIVES ARE DROPPING LIKE FLIES!....

Now my SSD is showing as a historical drive despite being installed, plus I have a second drive doing the exact same thing. I haven't yet booted into Windows yet to check if they can be seen in the Windows environment; I won't get to do that now until tomorrow, but this is a little worrying...

Here is the log that I just downloaded. 

tower-syslog-20220607-1223.zip