move between user shares on different disks does not acutally move files. (cron) (from share on prefer cache to share on array only)

Go to solution Solved by chiel315,

Hi.

I have user share 'appdata' which is prefer cache (pool: "ssd").

I have a different user share 'backup' which is on the array only.

When I run the following cron job, I expect the pi-hole file in the backup user share to be on any disk in the array, but instead I find it to be on the ssd cache pool (but still in the correct user share).

# make backup
docker exec pihole bash -c "cd /etc/backups; pihole -a -t" #note: this mounts to volume /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/backups

# move backup to share
mv /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/backups/pi-hole-*-teleporter_*.tar.gz /mnt/user/backups/cron/pihole/

# remove backups older than 7 days
find /mnt/user/backups/cron/pihole/ -type f -name 'pi-hole-*-teleporter_*.tar.gz' -mtime +7 -delete

My question is: How do I make the mv command actually move the file from the ssd cache to the disks assigned to the backup share.

Thanks for your time!

sc1.PNG

sc2.PNG

sc3.PNG

8 minutes ago, chiel315 said:

My question is: How do I make the mv command actually move the file from the ssd cache to the disks assigned to the backup share

Sounds as if you are encountering the behavior described here in the online documentations accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI.  You need to use a copy/delete process to make sure the files get moved instead of ‘mv’ if you Use User share paths.

The alternative is to use the ‘mv’ command but specify the physical drives rather then the user share.