Moving to New Server Hardware, with Same Drives

Hi....

So...Well, I have been using unRAID for a LONG, LONG time.  My current hardware for the server is back to 2013 so I am looking to just move the 8TB drives to a new motherboard, processor, and HD controller. Thus a new, modern server.  

Is there anything I need to know or do beforehand?  I have seen a few videos on doing it, but I had thought that the USB Thumb Drive was keyed to the CPU or something.  Thus I am not sure on if this is the case or not.  I am have a PRO unRAID license running the current version.

I am more or less hoping to replace the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Drive Controller.  Using the same drives I have and hoping it will just boot up. (3 8 TB data drives, 1 Parity Drive, one 1TB SSD cache drive that I want to move to NVRAM. I have the Cache Drive backed up each night and thus could restore it to the new NVAM drive is my hope.) 

Anyways...Anything I need to know beforehand? 

Thank you.

David Bott  

14 hours ago, David Bott said:

Is there anything I need to know or do beforehand?  I have seen a few videos on doing it, but I had thought that the USB Thumb Drive was keyed to the CPU or something.  Thus I am not sure on if this is the case or not.  I am have a PRO unRAID license running the current version.

Hello David,

the license is linked to the unique identifer (GUID) of your flashdrive. That's it !

If you do not have VMs with Hardware passthrough and/or RAID controller, you should be fine just transplanting your flashdrive and disks to a new config.

14 hours ago, David Bott said:

Anything I need to know beforehand? 

Make a backup of your flashdrive !

I would advise to deactivate Array automatic startup, deactivate Docker and VM services too.

Maybe a screenshot of your disks assignements from 'Main' just in case.

Thank you kindly. I just have not needed to upgrade in a long time.  But figured it was about time as mentioned.  I had remembered something about the key. :)  

My hardware is so old I can't do VM's, so that is not an issue.

I will have a new controller....LSI Logic Controller Card LSI00301 SAS 9207-8i 8Port Internal SAS/SATA 6Gb/s PCI Express Single - So not sure if I need to do anything for that. 

I am going with the following hardware...(Using the same case I have now which has 7 bays.  But upgrading the PSU.)

GIGABYTE Z690I AORUS ULTRA LITE DDR4 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1700 Intel Z690 SATA 6Gb/s Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-12600K - Core i5 12th Gen Alder Lake 10-Core
LSI Logic Controller Card LSI00301 SAS 9207-8i 8Port Internal SAS/SATA 6Gb/s PCI Express Single
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory
SAMSUNG 980 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 V-NAND MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V8V1T0B/AM (For CACHE DRIVE)
CORSAIR SF750 CP-9020186-NA 750 W SFX 80 PLUS PLATINUM

Drives are all Seagate 8TB IronWolf NAS. (Except the cache drive as mentioned.) 

Thank you again.

Edited by David Bott
Added a config part to the list.