Unraid can't boot > Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount...

Hi everyone,

Important note: This is the first time I'm using Unraid and I'm not IT engineer but simply an IT enthusiast and self trained. I set up the entire Unraid server (mainly for office storage) with 6.10.3 and all worked fine for 2 weeks. This office server that didn't boot this morning is not located in front of me (but thousands miles away) and no proper remote access is available at this moment. However a worker is near the server and can potentially be guided to work on it.

The server properly shut down last Thursday and was not able to boot on Tuesday morning. No modification happened in between. See the attached screenshot during booting. The worker left the server turned on until now and is waiting for my instructions on how to proceed.

Is this problem coming from the USB drive? or else?

Could you guide me for the steps to take or troubleshoot? 
For the time being, can we hardly shutdown the server without risking damaging the HDDs? I imagine we can because the array didn't start. Is that right?

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20220719_094844.jpg

Edited by DavidTMT
missing a detail
  • DavidTMT changed the title to Unraid can't boot > Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount...

Most probably related to corrupted usb flash drive.

Forced shutdown should be the only option; you should not damage any hd.

If you can get access to the usb in another os copy the config folder; redo/change the usb flash drive, make it bootable and copy the config folder on it.

Edited by ghost82
1 hour ago, DavidTMT said:

Is this problem coming from the USB drive?

The last message on the screenshot suggests it is probably a problem reading the flash drive.  

You may find this section of the online documentations accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI to be of use.

thanks a lot to @itimpi and @ghost82 for suggesting solutions!!

You confirmed my guess about the USB drive. I will now try to instruct my team from a distance:

1. to read the USB boot drive from a PC
  2. to rebuild the existing USB flash drive with clean install of Unraid  (and copying the old config folder on it)
  3. or if the Unraid boot keeps failing, to make a new USB boot drive and transfer the Pro license

We will work on this on Sunday morning. I will keep you updated on the results.

Edited by DavidTMT