Looking for a minimal style 15 bay case --> Thoughts

callummc

Hi Guys,

I've been poking around for a while now and I've decided to take the plunge and build an unRaid server. (I currently have an 8TB home theatre library that is not backed up - I cringe just thinking about it).

I'm looking for a case that will comfortably house 15 drives using some of the 5-in-3 drive cages (so probably a case with 9 external 5.25" bays) that dosen't have any fancy windows / fan mods / funky case shape.  Ultimately I just want a very plain case similar to the Cooler Master 590 or the Lian Li's PC-K12B - but as you are probably aware neither are sold any more.

Can anyone suggest anything that will take the mentioned cages and just look nice and simple?

Thanks,

Callum

That's exactly why I picked mine! A server case that doesn't look like a server. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12678.0 plus all the sound proofing and lack of annoying LED is just tits. You should go for the MS1 which only has one included 3in3 hotswap bay since you are going with 5in3.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=368 for more info.

I will be updating my build pics and more links in the upcoming weeks. Just gotta stop torrenting pRon long enough to turn it off to takes some.  ::)

Oh and since there is built in 10 external 5.25 bays, 5 3in2 cages will net you the 15 drive cap you're looking for.

That seems pretty good (it's probably the best I've seen so far!).  I loved the original Lian Li PC-A17B cases, but they just don't make them anymore.

So would the 5-in-3 cages fit into this without modification? I'm not sure how they are mounted. 

It's been about 10 years since I built my last PC :P

At this point I think I'm inclined to go with the Zalman. It's only $180 AUD and I can get one from a local supplier.

Although someone has offered me a Cooler Master 590 case (thanks !) - so I might consider taking that if he replaces his case any time soon.

Does anyone know of experiences in putting the 5-in-3 cages (probably the Supermicro ones) in the Zalman case? 

I'll gather a list of proposed parts and post them shortly.

for using 5in3's you need to modify the case, a dremel can work miracels.

Or you can use a C-clamp to bend the side rails.  Make sure the C-clamp is deep enough to reach all the way to the end of the rails.  For my Azza Helio 910 case, I used a 5 inch deep C-clamp.