Backing up a file to the USB drive?

Kiefer
Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

I have a specific encrypted file that I'd like to be readily accessible in the event of a complete inability to access my Unraid server. I'd like to be able to get to this file (not open, it's encrypted) without any passwords. Is it possible to, on a regular and automated basis, back up this file from it's current location (say from an Unraid share) to the USB drive holding the Unraid OS? This way I could just pop this USB drive out, plug it into another computer, and access this file, and return the USB to my server when done to continuing using Unraid normally?

1) Will this impact proper functioning of Unraid OS?

2) Will this file also be backed up to Unraid "My Servers" along with the rest of the USB?

If the above is problematic, I'd also settle for backing up to a different USB drive (though this isn't preferred as I won't have any sort of  warning if the drive has failed).

Any thoughts on accomplishing the above or similar alternatives?

Thanks!

• Solution

I would say that pulling the boot drive out of a running Unraid server is a really bad idea.  I do believe that the drive will be unmounted when removed and will not be remounted to    /boot     mount point when reinserted.  

14 hours ago, Kiefer said:

If the above is problematic, I'd also settle for backing up to a different USB drive (though this isn't preferred as I won't have any sort of  warning if the drive has failed).

If you were do this with a BASH script file, you could provide for notification if the write fails to this backup USB drive.  Search on the APPS  for the 'User Scripts' plugin for help in setting this up. 

EDIT:  Have a good look at the 'Unassigned Devices' plugin.  It probably provides for notification for drive failures. 

Edited by Frank1940
16 hours ago, Kiefer said:

just pop this USB drive out, plug it into another computer, and access this file, and return the USB to my server when done to continuing using Unraid normally?

No it won't continue normally. Unraid won't be able to find it when you plug it back in because it will be a different device. Bad idea for other reasons as well.

Understood now that if I shutdown and remove the USB running UNRAID and reinsert it later it probably won't boot properly. Good feedback about the Unassigned Devices plugin, I'll check it out!

I think I will have to take a different approach all together to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Thanks!