Upgrade Issue

Be-Art
Go to solution Solved by Be-Art,

Hi Community,

I have tried to find some existing issues in threads here but connot find solution.

I have chnaged hardware today for my unraid server from Intel 3770 to new Asus Rog 450F II board and Ryzen 5 4500. After some tweaks in the Bios i got into the Unriad UI but the array is not started this is due to some 4 drives missing, (if you check the logs it is actually 5 but CT240BX500SSD1 has been intentionally removed due to lack of SATA ports.)

The three spinning disks are spinning as i can feel the vibration, the remaining one disk is a SSD. The spinning disks are direct on the motherboards sata posts and the ssd is on a Pcie to sata card. All was good on the previous intel board. 

Help is appreciated as always.

**System Diagnostics deleted for security**

Edited by Be-Art

Thanks Arbadacarba, disks 3,4,5 and un-used cach drive (ssd) are not showing to the bios either. therefore not selectable in unraid and array is stopped state. Checked cable connections (data specifically) as i mentioned they are spinning up and constantly running therefore powered. Only a new drive m.2 appears in the drive selection for the array, but it should not impact as it remains as unassigned.

There is a note on the initial setup of bios docs "NOTE: Many motherboards support only up to 12 hard drives for purposes of boot selection. This is normally not an issue for Unraid® OS; however, if your Flash device is recognized by the bios as a hard drive, you may not be able to boot from the Flash after installing your 12th “real” hard drive. To avoid this, if possible set up your bios so that the Flash is treated as a removable device."

I am not sure if this could be impacting, but the missing 4 takes me to 10 drives online. excl the boot flash. to confirm the board is the Rog Strix B450-F Gaming II.

Update: Bios boot options counts 12 options. disks 4 & 5 are visible there. disk 3 and cache still missing.

Trying to update Bios but its stating update .CAP not a bios.

Edited by Be-Art
  • Solution

Solved, for searchability maybe it helps someone else.

Motherboard: Rog Strix B450-F Gaming II

CPU: Ryzen 5 4500

SATA Ports 5 & 6 turn off when m.2_1 is operating in sata or pcie mode. Solution setM.2_1 to "sata56"

My second external SATA controller is a PCIEx1 and the PCIEx16_3 controller needed to be set from Auto to "x1 Mode".

See screenshot.

still having issues with Ryzen 5 4500 onboard graphics wont output on the HDMI, i want to remove the gpu eventually to conserve power. I do not find an option for graphics in the bios like i did with Intel board. my First ryzen Cpu.

EDIT: seems ryzen 5 4500 does not include a CPU graphics, so i have to keep the card.

IMG_20220929_093020.jpg

Edited by Be-Art