Make the mover smarter in regards to chosing what disk to move files into?

je82

Unraid is amazing, but one thing makes me wonder why it hasn't been done, there has to be a good reason for it.

Right now you have to tell unraid through the share setting the "minimum free space" and from what i gather the mover checks at every file it tries to move if the minimum free space has been reached, and if it has not been reached, it proceeds to move the file to that disk according to the split level setting.

The problem with this is if you set "Minimum free space" to 5gb but the file it is currently moving is 6gb, it won't understand that the file won't fit. Why not? Does the mover not already have the information about the file it is currently moving and its size? It shouldn't require that much more performance to just have another check where it compares the minimum free space settings with the current file it is suppose to be moving?

Maybe there's a good reason to why it is the way it is, but i don't understand it right now.

Edited by je82
11 minutes ago, je82 said:

The problem with this is if you set "Minimum free space" to 5gb but the file it is currently moving is 6gb, it won't understand that the file won't fit. Why not? Does the mover not already have the information about the file it is currently moving and its size? It shouldn't require that much more performance to just have another check where it compares the minimum free space settings with the current file it is suppose to be moving?

The disk selection is done at a lower level than mover runs at.    It is done at the driver level and at the point the file is created, and at that level the final size of the file is not known.   Mover itself has no knowledge of what drive in the array the file will end up using.

• Thanks 1