Is it hard to transfer Unraid from a PC to Server hardware?

hoss

I used a very old FoxConn MB and AMD Phenom processor to evaluate unraid and determine if I wanted to commit. I love it so now I'd like to re-use my license (USB stick) to run unraid on a Dell R720 server (or equivalent). I don't care what's currently on the 6 drives I have loaded on the FoxConn MB. I'm more interested to see if it's possible to just unplug the USB from one and pop into the other and just start running. I've searched the community for an answer, but I haven't seen a scenario similar to this even though this can't be that unique. If anyone knows of an existing thread on this topic or the answer......please share. I am so impressed with unraid and can't wait to throw some more capable hardware at it to see where else it will take me. Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, hoss said:

possible to just unplug the USB from one and pop into the other and just start running.

Yes, but you will need to use the New Config tool to assign other drives to the array.  Other than that, your license, configuration, plugins and docker container settings will transfer over to a new system.  Share settings may need to be tweaked if they were setup for certain disks in the old system.  If you have VMs they may need be reconfigured based on the new hardware and anything you may have had passed through.

For reference, I have swapped hardware (motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSDs etc.) four times using the same unRAID USB flash drive and HDDs.

• Like 1

When shopping for server grade pieces, make sure you get a plain IT mode HBA instead of a RAID controller. Unraid doesn't play well with RAID. Some RAID controllers can be forced into submission, but you are much better off getting the correct controller to begin with instead of fighting with it.

There is a thread with compatible controller models.