External Drive Shucking Transition

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I was working on a 14TB external drive (shame on me) along with an extra 2TB drive, and no parity (double shame on me). I have purchased a 14TB internal drive, designated it as parity, and am waiting for the parity process to complete. Once done, I intend to shuck the external and transfer it inside.

What concerns, if any, should I have during this process? I'm guessing that the shucking will change drive identity in some way. Will this cause hiccups in Unraid?

I'm transferring an external to internal (assuming typo?).

Are you saying that when I shuck an external data drive, and convert it to an internal data drive, it clears zeroes? If so, what is my best option for cloning this disk given that I don't have an extra 14TB drive sitting around? I'm currently using slightly under 3TB, so maybe I could warehouse it somewhere else and copy back? How do I ensure that Unraid sees it as the same drive/data upon copying back? (or is that even relevant?)

EDIT: Perhaps I could use the new 14TB as the shelter, shuck the external, then set *that* as the parity drive?

Edited by ehawman

Got nothing at all to do with shucking, or even internal vs external. When you ADD any disk to a NEW slot in an array that already has valid parity, Unraid will clear it so parity remains valid.

You will have to New Config the disk into the array and rebuild parity instead of adding it.

There is some chance external converted to internal could cause issues of some kind, won't know until you try. But New Config is the way forward to keep its data unless you want to copy it elsewhere.

In any case, you must always have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable. Parity is not a substitute for backups

@trurl 

Doesn't look like you let parity build complete.

Correct. I thought it didn't make a difference since parity was building from the same drive.

I think the way forward is going to be to build parity, then rebuild the disk from parity, but let's have @JorgeB take a look. 

Cool. I'll wait.

At the end of the day I can redownload stuff manually. Annoying but not the end of the world. Note that this is two runs, first without then with the -L flag.

Not sure how I'd even make a backup at this point. Again, losing the data would be quite annoying but I wouldn't be heartbroken.

xfs_repair.txt