Disks showing as missing after reboot

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all,

I'm having issues with my disks showing up as missing at every reboot, i could not find the answer in related topics so i hope there is someone who can help! 

Configuration:

• Small mini pc with ICY BOX IB-RD3620SU3 3.5" disk cabinet connected via USB-C cable

Issue:

After each boot (reboot or from shutdown), random disks show as missing and cannot be assigned, when I assign them they show up as wrong. When i reboot, other disks are showing as missing. In the screenshot, only disk 4 is online, the others are not. After a reboot, it could very well be that disk 4 is missing and 1 and 2 are working for example. 

Schermafbeelding-2022-10-06-093751.png

What did i try:

• Reboots, a lot of them (normally, one or two reboots would work, but this time it does not help)
  • replaced USB-C cable with another USB-C to USB-C cable
  • replaced USB-C cable with USB-C to USB-A
  • Tried figuring out the logging, but don't know what to look for
  • Changed display settings ( Display world-wide-name in device ID to Automatic.) as suggested here: 

Attached are the log files pulled at the time of writing this. Hope some can help. I'm working on a replacement server where everything is build into one case but untill then, I hope to keep this running. 

Big thanks in advance! 

unraid-diagnostics-20221006-0933.zip

Edited by Michelangelo
  • Michelangelo changed the title to Disks showing as missing after reboot
9 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That's because they are being detected with different names, and Unraid does not accept that, one of the reasons we don't recommend using USB enclosures.

Is there a way to match the names again? Just for one more time haha, just to make sure i have all files before migrating to a new server. I have backups, but just to be sure. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/6/2022 at 2:01 AM, JorgeB said:

You can do a new config and re-assign all the disks (Tools -> New config)

I just had to do this today as well. In my case it happened after trying to assign some devices for VMs. Very frustrating/scary. Thank You @JorgeB

Edited by LordShad0w