Power failure, unraid shutdown, yet still parity check? What?

je82

Had my first power failure since started using unraid, everything shutdown as expected, ups took care of it.

Checking the logserver:

image.thumb.png.319ea277dd5658ad93f1c0f3cfcfffaf.png

Power failure occurs, battery check below limit, initiating shutdown. Why is unraid doing a parity check when the system was properly shut down? And what exactly does the message "root: /usr/local/sbin/powerdown has been deprecated" mean? I am so confused now.

Please help me understand unessesary parity checks are a pain in the ass, takes nearly 24 hours and draws a hell of a ton of resources on the system, i have a ups to avoid bad shutdowns... why is it doing a parity check anyways?

Edited by je82

Also very confusing, from logs:

2022-10-0613:14:13UserNoticeOct 6 13:14:13 NAS root: Shutting down VM: VMServer (Windows 2019 Server)

2022-10-0613:14:42KernelInfoOct 6 13:14:42 NAS kernel: kvm: exiting hardware virtualization

So VM was shutdown, yet when i start the VM now it tells me it was not gracefully shutdown.

here are my ups settings which i guess is going to be of question here:

image.thumb.png.0a239dec254c20f65d32d4fb97dc9ff0.png

please help me understand why my system was not shutdown properly even though all the logs says it was, the ups never got below 30% resources so power was never cut

Edited by je82

This was the last message from unraid to the logserver: "mpt2sas_cm0: sending message unit reset !!"

This was just an info, so not critical, not sure what it means but from what i gather it seems unraid just cut the power to itself before it had shutdown properly, can anyone speculate into why this could occur? The battery still had over 40% power left when this occured, bug in unraid?

25 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That means Unraid had to force the shutdown, i.e., the set timeouts were not enough.

Trying to understand how that happened, there is a timeout value i must have missed somewhere?

From the point where the UPS told unraid "Battery charge below limit! - Initiating system shutdown" and until the power cut off was only 32 seconds of time.

In settings > disk settings > Shutdown timeout : 600

In settings > vm manager > VM shutdown time-out: 600

Is there another value somewhere? I dont understand why it would cut power to itself after only 32 seconds.

Or have i misunderstood how these values work? When do these timeouts start ticking? When the the system is on ups power, or when the ups is telling unraid it is below % limit set in the ups daemon?

Either way non of the scenarios makes sense, because it was only on ups power for a total of 7 minutes and 21 seconds, which is also less than the timeout value set in unraid. And the ups itself never actually ran out of power either

EDIT: I realize now there was also a rsync job running which probably was locking unraid from shutting down, and maybe the numbers the ups is reporting can't be trusted and it was running very low on power quickly. Is there a way to tell unraid to stop all running scripts that may be running in userscripts in case of shutdown initiation?

Edited by je82