Error on disks after swapping SATA cables

Go to solution Solved by ZiRiuS,

Hey guys.

I have been having some trouble with parity checks lately, being really slow, taking 52 days to finish and so on and I saw on some forum post that swapping SATA cables might do the trick. Mine were really old from various other systems I had so I have no idea if they were bad or not so I swapped them all out for new ones.

That's were the trouble starts, one of my drive stopped working after that. I try running xfs_repair but when I did that another disk started having problems. I have to admit I have little idea what I'm doing and I don't know what's happening. Sometimes my system feels like a house of cards.

I noticed the disks with the error changed partition names, like in the Unassigned Devices they all of a sudden had sdb and sdd but they had a different ones when part of the array.

Logs and screenshot of the disks are attached. I hope someone here can help.

Thanks a lot!

cybertron.PNG

cybertron-syslog-20221008-1542.zip

I updated the BIOS and it seems to have fixed one of the drives, but the original one is still out. This is the error I get now:

Oct  8 18:15:12 Cybertron kernel: ata4.00: exception Emask 0x50 SAct 0x2000 SErr 0xb0802 action 0xe frozen

Oct  8 18:15:18 Cybertron kernel: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 24 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0

• Solution

I'm currently following this now, hopefully solves it. I'll mark it resolved if that's the case:

Rebuilding a drive onto itself

There can be cases where it is determined that the reason a disk was disabled is due to an external factor and the disk drive appears to be fine. In such a case you need to take a slightly modified process to cause Unraid to rebuild a 'disabled' drive back onto the same drive.

Stop array

Unassign disabled disk

Start array so the missing disk is registered

Important: If the drive to be rebuilt is a data drive then check that the emulated drive is showing the content you expect to be there as the rebuild process simply makes the physical drive match the emulated one. Is this is not the case then you may want to ask in forums for advice on the best way to proceed.

Stop array

Reassign disabled disk

(optional) Tick the box to start in Maintenance mode. If you start the array in Maintenance mode you will need to press the Sync button to trigger the rebuild. The advantage of doing this in Maintenance mode is that nothing else can write to the array while the rebuild is running which maximises speed.  The disadvantage is that you cannot use the array in the meantime and until you return to normal mode cannot see what the contents of the disk being rebuilt will look like.

Click Start.to initiate the rebuild process.and the system will reconstruct the contents of the emulated disk,

This process can be used for both data and parity drives that have been disabled.