Passthrough support for GPU

mathmoi

Hi,

How can I know before I buy a GPU if GPU Passthrough will work fine with it? Is there a list of recommended GPU for this purposes?

I had a setup a couple of years ago with two GPU and one of them would work on the first boot of the VM, but not after that initial boot. That forced me to reboot the unraid server every time I needed to reboot that VM, wich was not a great experience and forced me to remove this VM from the server and make it a physical machine.

Now that GPU prices are back to normal, i'd like to update my setup and make that computer virtual again. How can I choose a GPU (or two) so that I will be able to do GPU pass-through? Is there other components I need to check for compatibility with this feature (like the motherboard)?

Is there a list of compatible GPU for KVM Passthrough?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

General rule.  Any random card will pass through.  The difficulties come mainly via the motherboard choice, and how it's set up for IOMMU groups etc and whether if you need it the ACS override settings will work for you...  When in doubt, you're always better off with full size motherboards instead of mini ATX as they at least give you more options for configurations / playing around.