Question regarding optimization of Unraid and memory usage on SHFS

je82
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

I recently had issues with SHFS draining my ram, i have done some tweaking on my docker containers and moved the path of operation from /mnt/user/Appdata/ to /mnt/cache_appdata/Appdata/ which is my dedicated ssd for docker appdata. this tremendously lowered both cpu usage and memory usage on my system.

I went from when everything is up and running 83% out of 128gb memory used to 62% out of 128gb used and cpu is almost 15% less usage so i am very happy with this finding.

To my question, since i have a dedicated SSD for my appdata folder, and the drive itself is not even near to being full, would there be any benefits to setting this specific share to "Only" instead of "Prefer"? I don't know how unraid operates but my guess is that there could be a little benefit to setting it to "Only" in this case, am i right or wrong? I do know the risks of doing this, if the drive runs out of space its trouble for the apps running there, but i think i have this under good control. But if there is zero benefit to it there is no reason to allow the risk of the cache becoming full, do you experts have a take on this?

• Solution
18 hours ago, je82 said:

To my question, since i have a dedicated SSD for my appdata folder, and the drive itself is not even near to being full, would there be any benefits to setting this specific share to "Only" instead of "Prefer"?

In this case it won't make any difference, since you are using /mnt/cache it will always behave as cache=only

• Thanks 1