Quadro M2000 as just a transcoder. Possible?

Go to solution Solved by PhilipJFry,

Ok yes... its old... and haters are gunna hate (cheers TS), but will said card work in the Unraid infrastructure for "just" transcoding?

The card shows up fine (v515.76 drivers as per nvidia site) in system devices, settings Nvidia Driver and Dashboard GPU.

It sort of seemed working once under tdarr_node, but since then when starting EmbyServer, post-recording, Jellyfin or tdarr (with extra parameters --runtime=nvidia).. its a royal "up-yours" when trying to start the docker container.

No amount of love can seemed to get any container to wanna talk to this bad boy.

Am I flogging a dead horse?

Update: OMG... seriously docker containers your ok to start these containers now after my rant above?.

Let me see if Tdarr is BS'ing me... i'll be right back.

20 minutes ago, PhilipJFry said:

Am I flogging a dead horse?

The M2000 should be good for transcoding yes.

As you can see here it should be also good for h265 (HEVC) here: Click (but only for 3 simultaneous streams)

Have you also read this post: Click

You also have to add NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES and NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES to the container template with the appropriate values.

Make also sure that you've reboot once or restart the Docker service after installing the Nvidia Driver plugin.

I would also recommend that you try running unmanic from @Josh.5 instead of tdarr:

grafik.png.7e9a11d767ccc314b0830e6dadc503a7.png

Hi @ich777, thanks for replying.

Yes, i have all those settings set.

Currently watching tdarr have a heart-attack. It saw the M2000 and even had a message saying it did.

Although its saying "Transcode GPU", the M2000 is sitting there all quiet and the CPU is at 100% all threads (according to the dashboard).

When it stops i'll try unmanic. (i did try this before, but forgot to mention in original post).

Just now, PhilipJFry said:

Although its saying "Transcode GPU", the M2000 is sitting there all quiet and the CPU is at 100% all threads (according to the dashboard).

Don't forget that the Audio needs also to be transcoded in most cases or subtitles that are burned in.

You can always issue:

watch nvidia-smi

on a terminal from Unraid to see if the card is used.

1 minute ago, PhilipJFry said:

When it stops i'll try unmanic. (i did try this before, but forgot to mention in original post).

Yup, I would strongly recommend that you try it or better speaking use it. ;)

2 minutes ago, PhilipJFry said:

As an aside, and hopefully doesn't make any difference, but the ".ts" files in question are from Australia @ich777.. which shouldn't make any difference right?

Yup, this should not be an issue but this is also just a transport stream but should not be an issue.

I would really recommend to try unmanic because IIRC I can transcode .ts files just fine with it.

• Like 1
  • Solution
On 10/28/2022 at 7:35 PM, ich777 said:

I would really recommend to try unmanic because IIRC I can transcode .ts files just fine with it.

@ich777. I tried unmanic and well... nothing happened.

According to the docs: "Simply point Unmanic at your library and let it manage it for you."... Yer well..  ahem!.. that did nothing.

Watched a year old youtube video, and installed some plugins. But again.. nothing. Pressed the "RESCAN LIBRARY NOW" button (why is it all in caps?), and I can see it looking at the library, but all that comes up in pending tasks are a couple of mp3 audio files... like.. what the.

So sadly, gave up on Unmanic or every using NVIDIA on Unraid.... on well.. cheers anyway @ich777 👍🏻

17 minutes ago, PhilipJFry said:

So sadly, gave up on Unmanic or every using NVIDIA on Unraid.... on well.. cheers anyway @ich777 👍🏻

Have you ever tried to issue:

watch nvidia-smi

from a Unraid console if the card is used like I've mentioned above.

From my perspective it can only be a little thing why it's not working because over here and for many users 8k+ it is working just fine.

Hi @ich777, cheers for replying. I certainly wasn't expecting that 🙂

Re watch nvidia-smi, it won't make any difference as the Pending Tasks Queue doesn't have any items it to process.

I can watch the progress of the unmanic search the files /folder when pressing "RESCAN LIBRARY NOW", but by the end.. there's nothing for it to do.

The Plugin Flow, which is now located in Settings  -> Library -> Configure (different from the youtube vids), has the following configure, but the "Library Management - File test" just doesn't want to know about any files and doesn't seem editable. 😞

image.png.87022591aa811c78045fca5124d04850.png 

Oh well.. 😞

1 minute ago, PhilipJFry said:

Re watch nvidia-smi, it won't make any difference as the Pending Tasks Queue doesn't have any items it to process.

This command will only show what is utilizing the card, nothing more, so if nothing is utilizing it or nothing is running it will show no processes....

2 minutes ago, PhilipJFry said:

I can watch the progress of the unmanic search the files /folder when pressing "RESCAN LIBRARY NOW", but by the end.. there's nothing for it to do.

I think @Josh.5 can help here but I would strongly recommend that you post on his support thread for Unmaic, never had issues with Unmanic. I'm pretty certain it's a miss-configuration.

• Like 1