Problem upgrading from 6.9.2 to 6.11.1

kman
Go to solution Solved by kman,

I'm having trouble upgrading from 6.9.2 to 6.11.1 and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I've ran 6.9.2 for ages without issue, but I can't seem to get the 6.11.1 upgrade to take.   I've tried the web upgrade as well as manually copying the bz files over (actually both multiple times), but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

The common theme in the errors displayed before it ultimately gets to the command line login prompt is that it's getting not found errors referencing things in /lib/modules/5.10.28-Unraid -- but what I don't understand is why it's looking in that version/folder.  I can see my boot drive is mounted fine and I can see what I actually have loaded is /lib/modules/5.19.14-Unraid.  These directory errors start from the very beginning building the modules dependency list.  It's also notable that the login command prompt still shows 6.9.2 even though all the bz files seem to be correct - so obviously something isn't completely updating.

Also note the IP shown at the login prompt is a 169.* so it's obviously not getting a DHCP address - but many of the module errors are from ip_tables so that's probably not unexpected.

For the record, I also checked plugin compatibility prior to running the upgrade.  I had 2 that it recommended I uninstall - Nerd Tools (I had Perl installed) and also CA Config Editor.  I uninstalled both prior to the upgrade.

What am I missing here?  Thank guys-

tower-diagnostics-20221030-1549.zip

Edited by kman
Added the note about plugins.

Those diagnostics are from after the upgrade has been performed.  That's what I was trying to say, that I didn't understand how the login prompt, the /lib/modules/version folder being referenced, etc. are all still indicating 6.9.2 even after I've ran the web update, rebooted (multiple times), manually copied the bz* files from the 6.11.1 zip, rebooted (again multiple times), etc.   Look at folders.txt for /boot and you'll see the bz* file dates show 10/6.   It's like the update never truly takes even though the files are updated.  If the web update doesn't work, is there something else I should be doing besides simply copying the bz* files over from the 6.11.1 zip?  Am I missing a step?

Also just FYI, all I do to get the system back running is to copy the bz* files from my 6.9.2 backup and I'm back up and running.  

Edited by kman
  • Solution

Well, I finally realized what was going on here.  I had forgotten that a couple of years ago, I wanted to try and leverage the sdcard reader that was on the back of my motherboard, so I put a copy of unraid 6.9.2 in there.  For whatever reason, I could never get it to boot properly, and because it was a PITA to get to, I just left the sdcard in the slot and changed the boot order in the bios to prioritize my usb drive. Fast forward a couple years (and many beers), and I had completely forgotten the sdcard slot even existed.  <sigh>

So apparently when 6.9.2 would boot from my usb drive, it never cared about the sdcard drive - but it apparently caused 6.11.1 issues being there.  All I did was remove the sdcard and reboot with 6.11.1 loaded on my usb drive like I'd been doing.  It came right up no problem.