No network access after UEFI update re-enabled onboard LAN

thany
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

So I decided to update the UEFI. I had valid reasons to do so.

The update re-enabled the onboard LAN adapter, in addition to the addin card that I was using perfectly fine.

After that, unRAID at the login prompt said it was on (static assigned) 192.168.10.3, which is correct, but it wasn't pingable and it wasn't able to ping anywhere. Ok, so the network cable came unplugged. Plugged it back in and expected it to work straight away. How wrong I was. Still no ping from either side.

Decided to go back into the UEFI to disable the onboard LAN adapter. Back in unRAID it again says its IP-address is 192.168.10.3, which is still quite correct. But still no ping from either side.

ifconfig shows that I only have a lo0, br0, and eth1. I expected eth0, but it's eth1. I suspect that, maybe possiby perhaps, it needs to be renamed to eth0, but I have no clue if this will fix it, nor if this is even possible.

Now the question is, how do I get it back to a working condition?

I'm on unRAID 6.11.2, should that matter.

Edited by thany

In the mean time I self-diagnosed:

I've changed the file /boot/config/network.cfg to reflect the "changes" that were made. Rebooted. No change functionally.

Now ifconfig shows no eth1, but an eth0 instead, which invalidates my change. Okay?... Fine. So I change it again to eth0 in the config file and reboot.

Network access seems to be working again. But I don't feel right making changes to a generated file.

I followed your advice, JorgeB, and network (still) seems to be working, but a new network.cfg file doesn't seem to get generated... Also it feels weird that it doesn't *reset* the network settings, but rather it managed to keep all my settings (i.e. the static assigned IP-address) perfectly fine. Shouldn't these settings be gone?

Edit: after filling in a description for the NIC, the network.cfg get re-generated. Contents are totally different though, but I can't find anything broken. So, yay? Not sure if this is all good & dandy now.

Edited by thany