ASUS E35M1-I Fusion --> safe??

eskro666

No.

It can sort of work but I've had a bear of a time with the Pro version of that board.

- On-board Realtek 8111E nic is fragile. Expect to add one. Since the E35M1-I board only has one slot, using it for a nic would preclude using more than 6 drives.

- PCIe has issues with SATA cards. May be a PEG issue but the board's new EFI BIOS doesn't have the usual work-arounds.

- IRQ routing is broken. Complicates nic and SATA problems, both onboard and card-based. Latest firmware helps but you still have to get lucky and play tricks, and then don't touch anything.

- Asus support has thus far been lackluster.

Search for zacate and e350 to find other experiences here. There have been a few people who've managed to get their E350 boards to work. I've tried two of the e35m1-pro with identical crappy results. IMO, wait for the platform to mature. For now get a budget Sempron combo. It'll be faster with slightly higher power use, or move up to something i3-based. If it won't be doing much besides serving files then several Atom boards have been well tested.

There is no problem using the PCI bus. If you absolutely want to avoid any issues then Intel NICs are the only way to go. The Netgear uses a realtek chip which is basically the same one that's on the MB.  I'm not sure about the D-link. The issue with realtek NICs is that the drivers built into the linux kernel are just not very good.  Limetech usually uses older kernels to ensure that unRAID is more stable but the problem with that is then you are getting older versions of the NIC driver which depending on which unRAID version you are using will cause problems.

Here you go...

BTW, I don't know why Intel doesn't just include a low profile bracket with their full size PCI NIC, but they don't.

PCI:Intel PWLA8391GT Desktop Adapter PRO/1000 GT 10/100/1000Mbps PCI 1 x RJ45 - OEM: $30 w/ Free Shipping

(I have this NIC and it works perfectly. I wish I could say the same for my onboard Realtek 8111C NIC)

PCI (low profile):Intel PWLA8391GTL Desktop Adapter PRO/1000 GT Low Profile 10/100/1000Mbps PCI 1 x RJ45 - OEM: $27 + $3 Shipping

PCI-e: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/100/1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45: $28 w/ Free Shipping

• 2 weeks later...

I can't recommend the board yet due to it's strange behavior with interrupts and PCIe cards. The interrupt problems go beyond the nic and affect  onboard SATA ports. Loads of people have problems with it failing to initialize their RAID cards. My Jmicron cards are completely dead in it. It sounds like some Supermicro cards work and others do not. Browse the Asus forums for other examples. Asus has released several updates but in a hit & miss fashion: versions went from 5xx to 6xx to 1xxx, none really resolving problems, then back to 9xx. For me the jury is very much out.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the pro version of this board and it's been humming right along for months.  Running 5.0b10 at the moment.  Not sure why it's so hit or miss for others.

Hi SilverRubicon,

Regarding your Asus E35M1 motherboard:

"I have the pro version of this board and it's been humming right along for months.  Running 5.0b10 at the moment.  Not sure why it's so hit or miss for others."

Are you using the on-board NIC (with no problems)?

Do you have any cards in the PCI-e slots?

I'm also considering this board but worried about the problems with the on-board NIC and interrupts. Wondering whether the interrupt problems only occur when adding PCI-e cards, i.e., if running just a stock board with no ad-on cards perhaps the NIC and interrupt problems will disappear(?)

By the way, there is also a Sapphire E350 board too, with 6 SATA posts, and it doesn't have a Reaktek NIC! I have one but it is having problems recognising 3TB (Hitachi) hard disks on ports 0 and 1. Smaller disks are ok though, and ports 2 to 4 work fine with 3TB drives. Haven't tried port 5 yet. No NIC problems at all. Overall a fantastic motherboard for low-power unRaid users.

Just an update. The problem with hard disk detection was caused by a bad pin on a power cable. I now have a total of 6 3TB Hitachi drives working in unRaid. Used an e-SATA to SATA cable to mount the 6th drive. That gives me 15TB + parity without using any SATA/SAS cards! I can't recommend this motherboard enough  ;D

Cheers.

Archived