(6.11.3) Windows 11 22H2 detects server, but can't find or display SMB user shares

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello, new Unraid user here, and first post in the forums.

Quick disclaimer: I've read around a lot and did quite a bit of research trying to solve this, and I picked up on a few forum best practices, like attaching diagnostics; please do let me know if I can do anything to make it easier/simpler for others to help.

The issue: After turning on network discovery, both my Windows 11 22H2 installs (one laptop over wireless, and one desktop over Ethernet) can properly see my server called TOWER (see attachment 1). Double clicking on it reveals no shares as it did in 6.9.x when I tried Unraid a few months ago (see attachment 2). Linking directly to \\TOWER\plexmedia in windows explorer leads to an error 0X80004005, which when diagnosed explains " 'TOWER' exists but Windows can't find 'plexmedia' ". As far as I can tell my path syntax is correct (see attachement 3 and 4 for plex docker paths, and shares list respectively), but even if it wasn't, it doesn't explain why the shares don't show up as folders in TOWER. Correct me if I'm wrong, but folders created by dockers at the highest possible mount point in an array are shares by default. All SMB share settings are set to default (see attachement 5). I am logged in to TOWER as a guest using "\" credentials in Windows' network credentials prompt.

Things I have tried:

• Set cache preference to "No" on my plexmedia share. Not sure it helps, but intuitively I didn't want to mess with data on both the cache and the HDDs until I got everything set up.
  • Installed UD (unassigned devices) plugin as per this post who seemed to have similar symptoms. Installing the UD plugin solved nothing. Side question: do I have to restart the server for certain plugins to come into effect?
  • I have NOT forced SMB 1 functionality on Windows 11, as recommended by most users due to security vulnerabilities.
  • I have NOT created any dedicated users in the Unraid GUI for my SMB shares, as I did not want to mess with more settings before fully understanding what I'm doing. Unraid GUI only has a root user, and I'm logged in as a guest "\" in Windows' network credentials prompt.

Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if you need more information.

Best,

Attachment 1.png

Attachment 2.png

Attachment 3.png

Attachment 4.png

Attachment 5.png

tower-diagnostics-20221115-1539.zip

Oh wow, this is embarassing. Just set the export to "yes", and it now correctly shows up in Windows Explorer natively.

Out of curiosity, is this new behaviour compared to releases from early 2022? I don't recall having to manually go into share settings and set export to yes. It does make sense that it's off by default, it might just be my memory flaking.

Thanks for the quick and simple answer regardless!

Answer.png