Update to 6.11.3 - No Network

Go to solution Solved by neumann13,

Updated from 6.9 to 6.11.3 and now have zero networking.

I have access to a console via a lights-out card, but regardless of the boot options I select, I can't seem to get a command line.

Is there a way I can get to a command line and maybe get some sort of diagnostics bundle?

I knew it was a risk to update with the Intel X553 and IXGBE driver issues that cropped up in 6.10. I just assumed it had all been fixed by now...

Edited by neumann13

So I should have a console after booting up normally? My console has always looked like this after booting. Maybe it's my ILO then or something idk. I don't have any issues accessing the BIOS or the boot menu but I've never been able to see a CLI console, even on 6.9.

Edit: I rolled back to 6.9 and I am actually able to see a console now. I guess I only ever log on to this thing when the system fails to boot entirely, thus my confusion around the console situation. So, I logged in via the console and I still don't have any network. In the rollback, I replaced the bzroot, bzroot-gui, and bzimage files. I'm guessing the drivers are still on the newer version. I'll see if I can figure out how to get a diag off the system and attach it here.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 104919.png

Edited by neumann13

The diagnostics are for a boot of a 6.9.2 release, not the latest t.11.3 ones.  Is this what you intended?

If you want to get to a console on an attached monitor then select the first option on the Unraid menu or the 3rd one to run in Safe mode.  It it not clear to me whether you have tried either of these?

if you want to get a syslog that survives reboots then you need to enable the syslog server.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

The diagnostics are for a boot of a 6.9.2 release, not the latest t.11.3 ones.  Is this what you intended?

If you want to get to a console on an attached monitor then select the first option on the Unraid menu or the 3rd one to run in Safe mode.  It it not clear to me whether you have tried either of these?

if you want to get a syslog that survives reboots then you need to enable the syslog server.

When attempting to boot 6.11.3, I tried the normal boot, GUI mode, and GUI safe mode. All with the same results as the screenshot above. After rolling back to 6.9, the system was able to boot but I had to go in and manually repair my network config. That is when I realized that 6.11 wasn't booting at all. I had assumed it was an issue rendering the console in my ILO but now I believe that the system just isn't booting at all.

I can try setting up a syslog server somewhere (unraid is usually my host, so this'll probably take a while to do), but I don't think that will help me in this case. I don't believe that the system is booting at all on 6.11.3.

Is there a way that I could configure persistent debug logs in order to capture more information about why 6.11 isn't even booting?