Disk Shares Enabled - but not available

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi Everyone,

I am running Windows 10 Pro (Version 21H2; OS Build 19044.2251) as a VM on my Unraid and am no longer able to access my shares via \\tower\disk1 nor \\my.unraid.ip.address\disk1, though I can access my User Shares without issue.

I can browse Tower and see and access all User Shares, but Disk Shares are not visible.  Under Settings/Global Share Settings I have Enable Disk Shares set to Yes and Included Disks set to All (I have also checked boxes for every drive too); Excluded Disks is None.

When I try to access via Start --> Run --> \\tower\disk1
I get "\\tower\disk1 is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the adminstrator for this server to find out if you have access permissions.    A device attached to the system is not functioning.  <OK>"

I can access all of the User shares using Start --> Run --> \\tower\usershare it works perfectly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Russell

IF you export the disk shares, do be careful!    IF you copy between a Disk Share and a User Share, you can lose data!!!!!!  See the last post in this thread for more info:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/58290-copy-data-from-a-disk-share-to-a-user-share/

This is why Disk Shares are disabled by default.   It is a bug (found about ten years ago) but every proposed solution to the bug created more problems than the original bug.  

Thank you both,

I haven't found a setting for "export" but I have "enable disk shares" set to Yes.  On the Shares screen it shows both User Shares and all of the disks under Disk Shares.

Thank you for the warning Frank1940.  That is really good to know - also terrifying - seems reasonable this should be BOLD and RED when you turn this function on; I am sure I've violated this rule before.

I want to use the disk shares only for backup - so my backup software can backup each of the disks, even if I go and add more user shares later, this works.  Is there a better way (that doesn't require me remembering me to add a new backup each time I add a share)?  Is there a root of all User Shares that maybe should be the location I backup (from my Windows VM)?

Thanks,

Russell

Edited by RussellinSacto
  • Solution
10 minutes ago, RussellinSacto said:

I haven't found a setting for "export" but I have "enable disk shares" set to Yes.  On the Shares screen it shows both User Shares and all of the disks under Disk Shares.

If you click on any of the shares on the Shares tab then there should be an Export option.   It needs to be set to Yes to make it visible on the network (the default is No).   This applies to both User Shares and Disk Shares.

48 minutes ago, RussellinSacto said:

I want to use the disk shares only for backup - so my backup software can backup each of the disks, even if I go and add more user shares later, this works.

Just so you are always aware of the fact that you can never have an operation that involves moving or copying files/directories between Disk Shares and User Shares. 

I have seen so many instances of Cockpit error that I am always gun sly of any situation that depends solely on the user to prevent a disaster!   (Recently that was an instance where someone ran the Linux command---   rm -R /*     --which will delete everything in the entire Linux file system including the boot flash drive!  Linux/Unix assumes that everyone who uses the command line is a Guru and warnings from the OS are quite unnecessary... )

Thank you all so much for the help...  JorgeB and itimpi were totally right....  Needed to "export" each share.

With the warning from Frank1940 (Thank You!) I chose the "Yes - Hidden" export setting which will hopefully be enough to keep me from using the disk shares - but will still allow my backup software ARQ Backup to access them.

You all are awesome!  Thank you!

Russell