Can't get GPU pass through to work as I need!

Hello everyone!

New to unraid and loving it so far. But I can't get the video pass through working as I need :(

Below is my setup.

Hardware:

• Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi Intel® Z690 (LGA 1700)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-12700K Processor
  • External GPU: ASUS Turbo GeForce® GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X
  • (An old LCD) Monitor connected to External GPU via Display Port to DVI port cable (I Know my monitor is long overdue, will replace it at some point but a bit later)

Software:

• Unraid v6.11.5 with an XFS-encrypted data array
  • Windows 10 VM (with auto start and with the External GPU passed through to it)

What I want:

• Use the VM as a day-to-day PC
  • Shutdown my server nearly every day (it is in my bedroom and is annoying if working at night)
  • Upon power-on get to the VM (on my monitor) with minimum hassle (need to figure out how to do encrypted array auto-start with the passphrase feeding without compromising the purpose of encryption).

My problem:

• Upon power-on Unraid "captures" the Graphics card where the monitor is connected... I can't force it to always stick to the iGPU and leave the External GPU for the Windows VM.

Workaround that works:

• attach the monitor to iGPU
  • boot unraid (boot logs showing on the monitor) and start array
  • disconnect monitor from iGPU and connect to the external Graphics Card - it works (displays the VM welcome screen)

The workaround is a no-go for me... Please help me understanding what am I missing.

If you can't fix it by changing some options in bios, what about buying a hdmi dummy plug and attaching it to the igpu?

If you have a second monitor, or you have a friend with a monitor, you can try to attach one to igpu and one to the gpu passed to the vm, if it will work, it will work with the dummy plug too.

Edited by ghost82