Possible to stream movies from Unraid Server to PS3?

DigitalDivide

I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if it's possible to stream movies from my Unraid Server to a PS3?  I was either thinking of rebuilding my HTPC.  But since the PS3 is also a Blue Ray player and upconverts regular dvd's I thought it might be worth looking into as a HTPC replacement.  Has anyone been able to do this or know if it's even possible?

That's going to depend upon the apps available to run on PS3.  I don't know much about PS3... I have worked with several 'modded' classic XBoxes however.  If you run XBMC, it's super-easy to stream ripped DVD's from unRaid.  In nearly any format thinkable as well.  I stream ISO's directly to the XBox (XBMC).

So if there is an XBMC equivalent for PS3, you should have no probelm at all.

Oz

I'm also wondering this as I'm in the market for both a gaming console (want to game in theater) and a media streaming front end for my theater (presently use a laptop as HTPC but it's a hassle to do setup/tear down). The thread linked to below from AVS suggests that it's doable if you run twonkyvision (not free) on the unRAID (there's a link there to the lime wiki showing how to do this) for UPnP and basically, yeah it should work.

Main question: is anyone doing this? My goal is to run MKVs (preferably without the lengthy transcoding process, but just tweaking the files to be PS3-compatible mp4 h.264 files, hopefully with the 5.1 in tact.

Input appreciated!

AVS link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13013703#post13013703

Archived