Tried replacing CACHE Drive, now nothing is there

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi 

I followed this post on how to replace the CACHE Pool Drive with a new one.

I am able to plug in both the old and the new. So what i did was i stopped the Array, selected the new drive (So that the new one appears in "Cache" and the old one goes to "unassigned". Then i started the Array. 

However, nothing happened except all my docker and stuff was gone. 

Then i thought maybe setting things as they were helps, but no. Now it says that the disk has nothing on it (the old and the new one). 

What did i do wrong? How do i get my Data back? 

Im still learning UNRAID, so any help is much appreciated. 

Best Regards

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Do you mean you followed the part for a directly device replacement that has a line across it and mentions it does no longer works

Wait noo, that is exactly what i did. Welp. Nothing i can do i guess? 

I somehow thought "-You can't directly replace an existing device with a smaller one, only one of the same or larger size, you can add one or more smaller devices to a pool and after it's done balancing stop the array and remove the larger device(s) (one at a time if more than one), obviously only possible if data still fits on the resulting smaller pool." applies to replacements as well..

50 minutes ago, NAStyKappeli said:

you can add one or more smaller devices to a pool and after it's done balancing stop the array and remove the larger device(s) (one at a time if more than one), obviously only possible if data still fits on the resulting smaller pool." applies to replacements as well..

This works but it's not a direct replacement, first add one device and only after that's done can you remove the old one.

There's a good change your old cache is still recoverable if nothing else was done, please post the diagnostics.

It is, the new one is this one: image.thumb.png.acf286a99c93433205a93e1b1469aa66.png

I had an "old" Samsung SSD lying around which i used for Cache. Now i want to replace it with a WD Red SATA and an Intenso NVMe. Since i only have one NVME Slot, i wanted to first move everything over to the SATA Drive, then remove the Samsung NVMe and install the new Intenso NVMe. 

Why do you think that the Samsung Drive is not the old one? Do the Diagnostics say so? 

Ohh ok, yes i did reboot the Server multiple times in the meantime.

What i did after the initial swap and seeing that nothing happens is i stopped the array and moved everything back as it was (WD Drive "unassigned" and Samsung Drive back to the Cache Pool). When i then started the Array i saw the "unmountable" error for the first time and rebooted the server. 

Output is: using SB copy 1, bytenr 67108864

On 12/11/2022 at 3:29 PM, JorgeB said:

you can also add the new device to the pool and only after that is complete remove the old one from the pool.

Hi again

Yesterday my drive went missing again, there is something wrong with the samsung one. So today i tried it again. You say "after that is complete", when do i know if its complete? 

image.thumb.png.5ad15605f825fdcb7a48412afd6528d8.png

Currently, the WDC drive is still a "new device". That has to go green right? Then, i can remove the Old Samsung drive and im good? 

Thanks again!