How Good/Bad Is My Current PC as an Unraid Server

bitphire

Hello! I just bought UnRaid Pro as I have been wanting to convert/build a server for a long time and I have been putting it off for finacial reasons. I am hoping to be able to start building something in near future if needed but for now I was wondering if my current PC would be up for the task. It's a few years old now. I currently run Windows 10 and Emby. I do play games every now and then.

Server would hopefully be able to run a webserver, mysql server, emby for media, radarr, sonarr, nzbget, linux vm (1-3 distros), and a windows distro. Might consider a mac vm if I could get it work. The web,database, and emby I would want on at all times. The VM's I would probably just turn on as needed to code or game. I like to write small apps as a hobby and play with linux for fun.

Current Setup:

CPU: i7-7700k

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz

Power Supply: FSP Dagger 600W 80 Plus Gold

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 1080

If the rest is decent enough, I would be willing to just buy more ram. I am new to any of this and not 100% what I am looking for. I know how to match sockets and piece together PC's but as for the details of what makes something better than the other can elude me. As for hard drives, I have nothing special atm. Just a NVMe Samsung 970 EVO, small SSD (old), and random sized HDDs. My media at the moment is stored on 2 external drives (8TB & 12TB) that are made to appear as one drive in Windows.

TIA for any input!

Edited by bitphire