Insufficient disk space error on cache pool

Javen

I just created a new array and tried to import as data via SMB. Here is the setup:

Unraid:

1. 1 x 14 TB HDD(as array disk)

2. 1 x 2 TB SSD(as cache)

Only one share is created and set "use cache pool" option as "yes".

External:

1 x 16TB HDD(contains about 6TB data, ~80GB each file)

I tried to copy all data on external HDD to unraid via SMB. As I understood, as "use cache pool" is set to "yes", unraid will try first storing all data on cache, once there is no enough space on cache, it will store remaining data on the HDD.

However, I just got an error once the cache is full.

Here is my doubt:

1. why unraid won't create new files onto the array directly once the cache is full? even the use cache pool option is set to 'yes' instead of 'only'

2. let's say we have different kind of data, some of them might be accessed frequently. If I only use one share to store all data, will unraid eventually automatically move the frequent used files to cache and leave others in array? Or I have to separate different share for different purpose and set different cache strategy on each?

The way Unraid decides it needs to overflow to the array is if the cache gets below Minimum Free Space. Probably you haven't set any Minimum.

Also, not much point in caching the initial data load unless your cache is large enough to take it all.

3 minutes ago, Javen said:

separate different share for different purpose and set different cache strategy on each?

^This