Separate SMB share within Unraid Share possible?

LXZ1982

Hi guys,

sorry for the noob question. I tried to search for answers but with the keywords of "shares", "smb" etc. I find everything just not my exact question.

So, I have an unraid share for my retro gaming archive, which includes folders for all kinds of things like manuals and magazine PDFs, soundtracks and also for roms.

Now, I would like to use the unraid server as a network drive for my MiSTer FPGA. For that matter, I would like to have a separate share of the roms only and with a somewhat different folder structure. Is this achievable within Unraid? Maybe is there a docker that can set up a separate SMB share? Thanks.

Shares are always created from the root folder of a drive.

But, what works is to make a symbolic link from the subfolder to the root. You need to do this from the console.

The link automatically appears as a new share in the GUI, you can publish it and configure access levels.

But I don't know if this will produce troubles somewhere (like circular backups or something). Maybe somebody else has tried this in real life ?

You  didn't give much info about what hardware you are using to access your unraid server.  

What I have done with Windows 10 Pro computers is to 'map' as a Windows drive--- (The automatic assignment of these drive letters begins at Z:\ )  ---to the point in the Unraid Share's file structure where I need my access point to be.)  

As an example I have mapped a Drive  Z:\  to the point on an Unraid share named Data  at   ELSIE1\Data\ShareData\Pimax   for use by our Address Book program.  When the address book program starts up, it looks for its data on Z:\ and it never realizes that it is using a network resource which makes it as happy as a clam.   In this case, the Unraid share Data is shared as a Private Share and thus Z:\ has the same usage permissions as the whatever the SMB user from that computer has to that base Share.   (In this case, it is Read-Write as I want all users of the Address Book to be able to update the database.)

• 6 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 2:37 PM, Frank1940 said:

You  didn't give much info about what hardware you are using to access your unraid server.  

What I have done with Windows 10 Pro computers is to 'map' as a Windows drive--- (The automatic assignment of these drive letters begins at Z:\ )  ---to the point in the Unraid Share's file structure where I need my access point to be.)  

As an example I have mapped a Drive  Z:\  to the point on an Unraid share named Data  at   ELSIE1\Data\ShareData\Pimax   for use by our Address Book program.  When the address book program starts up, it looks for its data on Z:\ and it never realizes that it is using a network resource which makes it as happy as a clam.   In this case, the Unraid share Data is shared as a Private Share and thus Z:\ has the same usage permissions as the whatever the SMB user from that computer has to that base Share.   (In this case, it is Read-Write as I want all users of the Address Book to be able to update the database.)

I am sorry for not replying previously due to personal reasons. Regarding how to access: I want to access the roms with my MiSTer FPGA setup ( https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Wiki_MiSTer/wiki ) via SMB ( https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Wiki_MiSTer/wiki/Samba ). The reason for me asking about a separate SMB share is that in order to funtion properly, MiSTer needs specific, case sensitive, folder names. However, since my Unraid server is more of a living archive, I need different folder names for the archive SMB share. So, my current takeaway from the previous posts is, that I need to figure out systemic links in Unraid, so that the Roms SMB share can utilize the files from the Archive SMB Share.